Handy Guide: Convict Records of New South Wales: The Human Stories of the Transportation System
- Usually Ships WIthin 7 Days
Media: BOOKLET - 12 pages
Author: C. Yeats
Other: colour photos, websites, further reading
Publisher: Unlock the Past
The records relating to the more than 80,000 men and women transported to New South Wales between 1788 and the 1840s, including the ‘convict exiles’ from the later 1840s and 1850s, provide family historians and other researchers with a unique resource. They document the human stories of the transportation system, recording the experiences of the men and women who established new lives far from home.
These records are invaluable in tracing the ‘career’ of convicts as they progressed through the system from their arrival in the colony ─ starting with the convict indents. For many there can be records of tickets of leave, pardons, certificates of freedom and, for some, colonial punishment, secondary transportation or death.
This handy guide gives you advice on getting started, an overview of the main convict records from News South Wales and overseas and how and where these can be consulted. These include trial records from the UK, Ireland and elsewhere, related colonial records and newspapers. There are links to these records and a list of books for further research.
ALSO AVAILABLE AS AN EBOOK
ALL CONVICT GUIDES
- Handy Guide: Convicts: From trial to freedom - printed guide - ebook
- Handy Guide: Convict Records of New South Wales: The Human Stories of the Transportation System - printed guide - ebook
- Handy Guide: Convicts: Port Phillip District - printed guide - ebook
- Handy Guide: Convicts: The Moreton Bay Penal Settlement 1824-1839: “A place of security and substance” - printed guide - ebook
- Handy Guide: Tasmanian Convicts - printed guide - ebook
- Handy Guide: Western Australian Convicts - printed guide - ebook
- Handy Guide: Convict Records of Norfolk Island 1788-1814 - printed guide - ebook
- SET OF 7 Convict Handy Guides - coming soon
- Guide to convict transportation lists: 1787-1800 - printed guide - ebook
- Guide to convict transportation lists: 1801-1812 - printed guide - ebook
MORE RELATED PRODUCTS