- About Us
Our family and local history business interests began as a part time hobby business by Alan and Anthea Phillips from their Adelaide Hills home in September 1976. Alan’s local and family history interests had started five years earlier in 1971. This led to contact in 1974 with Don Grant and Eveline Brown, partners in History House Bookshop in Melbourne, and who subsequently supported us from our 1976 beginnings. Alan left his former employment with a Consulting Civil Engineering company in February 1982 to develop the business full time. This coincided with the remarkable expansion of interest in family and local history in Australia and worldwid
e in the 1980s. During the 1980s Alan & Anthea’s son, Stephen, and daughter, Alona, joined the business and are still with us today. A number of others, including several of Stephen’s children have also worked in the business at times. A number of sister brands have been established since then.
Gould Genealogy & History has been has been a supplier of products for family and local historians since 1976. We offer one of the widest ranges of worldwide genealogy products anywhere. Gould is also a publisher of important resources. In 2009 our publishing interests were expanded considerably un the Unlock the past imprint
Archive Digital Book Australasia, established in 2003, has digitised approximately 2 million pages of old and rare books with approximately 150 million names. We are a significant supplier of Australian and New Zealand content to Ancestry, Findmypast, World Vital Records and MyHeritage.
In 2014 we developed a range of 52 value special collections (our entire range) offered on high capacity USB drives at a fraction of the cost of buying the included products separately. Each collection is fully searchable. And now many of the books scanned are being offered as digital downloads though genealogy ebooks.
Unlock the Past commenced in 2009 as a collaborative venture involving a team of expert speakers, writers, organisations and commercial partners to promote history and genealogy through:
- major events – supporting and attending events by others and running innovative major events of our own. These have included expos, roadshows, regional seminars, history and genealogy cruises – and even Australia’s first ever battlefield tour.
- a publishing brand – guide books for researchers – we have published 70 basic guide books since 2010 (to mid 2016), with many more planned. In 2016 we started a new miscellaneous series – specialised books with too limited a market to interest most other publishers.
- general and events directories online.
Genealogy-ebooks is the ebooks division of Gould Genealogy & History – established June 2013. Initially this will offer all Unlock the Past print publications in parallel ebook editions; and hundreds of Archive Digital Books Australasia data CDs as digital downloads – in time over 1000 titles.
Unlock the Past Cruises an international history & genealogy developed on the back of experience with a number of successful genealogy cruise-conferences at sea since 2011 as Unlock the Past events. Unlock the Past Cruises launched separately in June 2013 as a dedicated international history and genealogy cruising brand. Our cruises have ranged from 2-18 days, all but one featuring significant conferences with leading Australian and international presenters. They have ranged over most Australian and New Zealand cities, around the British Isles, the Baltic and the Rhine river.
- Gould Publishing Services (1990-1996) – book set up and print brokering for private publishers
- Family Photo Book (2009-2015). A fun easy way to present photos and stories – family history, special events, holidays and more.
- Gould Digital, established in 2003. Headed by Stephen Phillips to provide digital printing and production service to our own businesses. Now offered to the wider public.
- Dragonfly: the genealogy market place, an exciting new website where you can buy and sell new genealogy products! Coming soon from Alona.
- Silverleaf Studios, established 2016 by Timothy Phillips offering graphic design services as well as illustration and web design. This is an independent business, offering services to the wider business community (including our various Gould brands) and the public generally.