Victorian Directory Compendium 1916-1920 (Sands and McDougall)
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 5 CDs (15,719 pages)
Author: J. Sands & McDougall
Year: (1916-1920) 2011
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Directories are an invaluable resource for local, family and social historians as well as for researchers in other fields of Australian history. While they do not give you birth, death and marriage details - core records for genealogists and family historians - they can certainly provide you with information on the region where your ancestors lived, as well as information on their occupation and much more.
This compendium of Sands and McDougall's directories covers 1916-1920. Each is very comprehensive containing the following sub-directories:
- City Streets Directory, with a street index, and street by street listings of all houses and the householder at each address
- A Country Directory section that lists people alphabetically for each town together with their occupation
- An Alphabetical Directory covering the whole of Victoria
- Melbourne and Suburban Professional and Trade Directory, listing people by their trade
- Country Professional and Trade Directory, complements the Melbourne list to give coverage of all Victoria
Separate directories are given for the following areas, making the work comprehensive and complete:
- Agricultural and Pastoral - lists people alphabetically by their agricultural activity
- Government and Official - Commonwealth and Victorian office bearers
- Legal and Judicial - including Justices of the Peace
- Ecclesiastical - the Australian Church, Baptist Union, Particular Baptist, Catholic Apostolic, Christian Science, Church for Deaf Mutes, Church of England, Church of God, Churches of Christ, Congregational, Free Presbyterian, Greek Orthodox, Hebrew Congregation, Lutheran, Methodist, New Church in Australia, Presbyterian, Reorganised Church, Roman Catholic, Salvation Army, Seventh Day Adventist, Unitarian Church, Welsh Calvinistic, and Zionist Church (the list varies between years)
The directories include many pages of advertisements - all useful information, often including names of people and places. The whole of each of the directories, including most text in the advertisements, is searchable, useful not only for finding names, but also places, occupations and other information for family and local historians.
Bennett, C. S., Healesville
Bowman. Miss Selina. Sturt-st. Ballarat
Boyd, Theodore B., Warrandyte
Carmichael, John G., 512 Leith-st, Ballarat
Homewood. Mica Ada, 28 Candover-st, W. Geelong
Jarratt, A. E., Lorae
Jones, Miss Marion. View Point, Bendigo
Each volume is also available individually:
Victorian Directory 1916 (Sands and McDougall)
Victorian Directory 1917 (Sands and McDougall)
Victorian Directory 1918 (Sands and McDougall)
Victorian Directory 1919 (Sands and McDougall)
Victorian Directory 1920 (Sands and McDougall)
This CDs contains high quality scanned images of the original books, and each has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text
Click here to download a file of sample pages from this book
Right click on the link and select "save as" - to a location on your hard drive. The sampler can be opened, navigated and searched as with the full CD file/s.
Sample files usually contain the title page, contents, some introductory pages and sample pages from the body of the book. Often the complete index from the original book is included.