Victorian Directory Compendium 1926-1930 (Sands and McDougall)
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 5 CDs (14,102 pages)
Author: J. Sands & McDougall
Year: (1926-1930) 2011
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Directories are an invaluable resource for local, family and social historians as well as for researchers in other fields of Australian history. While they do not give you birth, death and marriage details - core records for genealogists and family historians - they can certainly provide you with information on the region where your ancestors lived, as well as information on their occupation and much more.
This compendium of Sands and McDougallÂs directories covers 1926-1930. Each is very comprehensive containing the following sub-directories:
- City Streets Directory, with a street index, and street by street listings of all houses and the householder at each address
- A Country Directory section that lists people alphabetically for each town together with their occupation
- An Alphabetical Directory covering the whole of Victoria
- Melbourne and Suburban Professional and Trade Directory, listing people by their trade
- Country Professional and Trade Directory, complements the Melbourne list to give coverage of all Victoria
Separate directories are given for the following areas, making the work comprehensive and complete:
- Agricultural and Pastoral Â lists people alphabetically by their agricultural activity
- Government and Official Â Commonwealth and Victorian office bearers
- Legal and Judicial Â including Justices of the Peace
- Ecclesiastical Â the Australian Church, Baptist, Catholic Apostolic, Christadelphians, Churches of Christ Scientist, Church of England, Congregational, Free Presbyterian, Greek Orthodox, Hebrew Synagogue, Latter Day Saints, Lutheran, Melbourne Society of the New Church, Methodist, Particular Baptist, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, Salvation Army, Seventh Day Adventist, Society of Friends (Quakers), Unitarian Church, Welsh Presbyterian (the list varies between years)
The directories include many pages of advertisements - all useful information, often including names of people and places. The whole of each of the directories, including most text in the advertisements, is searchable, useful not only for finding names, but also places, occupations and other information for family and local historians.
(Rail to Bendigo 100Â¾ miles, thence 6 miles.
Shire of Strathfieldsaye, County of Bendigo)
Barger, Harry, farmer
Bill, George, grazier
Cheyne, James E., farmer
Dew, Mark R.
FarmrsÂ Arms htlÂFitzpatrick, P.
Hare, Albert C., dairyman
James, Wm. J., farmer
Knott. George, farmer
Each volume is also available individually:
Victorian Directory 1926 (Sands and McDougall)
Victorian Directory 1927 (Sands and McDougall)
Victorian Directory 1928 (Sands and McDougall)
Victorian Directory 1929 (Sands and McDougall)
Victorian Directory 1930 (Sands and McDougall)
This CD contains high quality scanned images of the original books, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text