The History of the Town and County of the Town of Galway
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD
Author: J. Hardiman
Year: (1820) 2005
Publisher: Archive CD Books Ireland
This book is considered to be the definitive history of Galway. James Hardiman, an active member of the Royal Irish Academy and sub-commissioner of Public Records at Dublin Castle published it in 1820. As a result the book contains much information now lost as a consequence of the 1922 fire at the Public Record Office. The book is organised into four sections, with additional appendices and other information at the end. These are:
- History of Galway from earliest times to the present in seven chapters. This is the main bulk of the book and includes copious transcripts of original sources.
- The Corporation of Galway. This section includes lists of all city officials and MPs from earliest times and copies of the charters, etc.
- Ecclesiastical History of Galway.
- Galway in 1820. Details of all official, public and private institutions, governance, education, economic information, etc.
- The book also contains many fine illustrations of the city, as well as maps, including a large-scale map of the city in 1651.
A wealth of information and a snapshot in time.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later