show / hide sidebar
Berwick-upon-Tweed: The History of the Town and Guild
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (530 pages)
Author: J. Scott
In this 530 page book, published in 1888, author John Scott presents a detailed history of this Border river town from the earliest recorded references down through the late 19th century. He as well records the history of the all-important guilds, or trade associations, which regulated the economic activities of the town.
There are extensive indices which contain the names of prominent burgesses through the centuries, mayors, members of parliament, and other historical details of the life of this Border town.
Since the town long was in English hands, its history and administration bridge both English and Scottish reigns and history and provide important information on the nature of life along the border. This history is most detailed beginning around 1300 and continuing down through the 17th century.
This CD consists of scans of the original book, which can be browsed, enlarged and printed if required. Please note: it is not searchable.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later