Tracing Mining Ancestors: A Brief Guide to Resources in Australia and New Zealand - EBOOK
- Download product
Media: EBOOK - download
File Format: PDF, 6MB (60 pages)
Author: S. Hicks
Other: b&w & colour photos, bibliog, index
Publisher: Unlock the Past
This publication highlights the wealth of information available to genealogists and family historians looking for their mining ancestors. The guide covers archival and library resources, maps, photographs, newspapers, published works and online resources. In addition it looks at where this information may be located including historical societies and museums, genealogical and family history societies, as well as archives and libraries.
Using examples from her own family history, the author demonstrates what kind of information can be obtained and where to locate similar information on your own ancestors.
Women are often hard to find in colonial records, but sometimes they can be found working and living in mining areas or perhaps as shareholders in local mines. School records can also help to trace the movements of a mining family as the author demonstrates.
This guide is a must read publication for anyone researching their mining ancestors. It is a great starting place with a description of the various resources available with an area by area guide for both Australia and New Zealand.
Our mining ancestors left some interesting stories and this publication will assist you to find your own ancestors' mining stories.
NOTE: this product is a digital download.
- You will be sent an order confirmation email immediately.
- A link to download the file will be sent as soon as your payment is confirmed - usually within 24 hours of an order being placed Monday-Friday.
- Payments by PayPal are confirmed sooner - shortly after placing your order.
Brief history of mining in Australia and New Zealand
- Brief timeline for select major discoveries
- Major disasters
- Life on the goldefields
- Cornish miners
- Welsh miners
- Chinese miners
- Hospital records
- Government archives
- Collecting archives
- Genealogy and family history societies
- Historical societies and museums
- New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
- Northern Territory
- New Zealand
An international view
- United Kingdom
- Australia and New Zealand websites
- Overseas websites
- Tracing Mining Ancestors: A Brief Guide to Resources in Australia and New Zealand - printed book