- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: BOOK - paperback, 368 pages
Author: B. Durie
Other: 4th ed., b&w photos, maps, charts, addresses, index
Publisher: The History Press
This fully revised an updated fourth edition of 'Scottish Genealogy' is a comprehensive guide to tracing your family history in Scotland.
Written by one of the most authoritative figures on the subject, the work is based on established genealogical practice and is designed to exploit the rich resources that Scotland has to offer. After all, this country has possibly the most complete and best-kept set of records and other documents in the world.
Addressing the questions of DNA, palaeography and the vexed issues of Clans, families and tartans, with a new chapter on hDNA and genetic genealogy, Bruce Durie presents a fascinating insight into discovering Scottish ancestors. He covers both physical and electronic sources, and explains how to get beyond the standard 'births, marriages and deaths plus census' research, and reminds the reader that there are more tools than just the internet.
Comparisons are made with records in England, Ireland and elsewhere, and all of the 28 million people who claim Scottish ancestry will find something in this book to help, challenge, and stimulate. Informative and entertaining, this is the definitive reader-friendly guide to genealogy and family history in Scotland.
1. The Scottish Censuses of 1841 to 1911
2. Statutory Registers of Birth, Marriages and Death Post-1855
3. Old Parish Registers
4. Church and Religious Records (including Catholic)
5. Census Substitutes
6. Trades, Craft, Professions and Offices
7. Courts and the Scottish Legal System
9. Local Records: Burgh and Parish
10. Scottish Wills and Testaments
11. Land and Maps
12. Feudal Land Tenure, Baronies and Titles
14. DNA, Genetic Genealogy and 'Scottishness'
15. Clans, Families, Crests and Tartans
16. Scottish Heraldry and Coats of Arms
- Gaelic Words in English
- Scots Legal and Genealogical Glossary
- Latin Glossary for Genealogy and History
18. Internet Resources
19. Scottish Monarchs: Reigns and Genealogies
20. Organising your Research
The cover of the book has a review from Scots Magazine 'Inspirational... must surely rank up there with the best'. I couldn't agree more with this comment. Such a well rounded and comprehensive book for anyone wishing to research their Scottish heritage.