Queensland Government Gazette 1917
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (4224 pages)
Year: (1917) 2014
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Government Gazettes are only just starting to get the recognition that they deserve. They've been largely an unknown source, partly because of their availability (usually only in select archive offices or libraries), and partly because for their sheer bulk and the time required to mine the treasures within. Now that they are being released in full searchable digital form this amazing historical resource is readily accessible.
Issued once a week, as well as releasing 'Extraordinary' special issues from time to time, they are full of fascinating information, both historical and genealogical. You will find information such as land transactions, legal notices, proclamations, public auctions, public meetings, insolvency and bankrupt notices, impoundments, partnerships, licences, tenders and contracts, government institutions and positions, statistics and much more.
Government Gazettes are a unique, useful and extremely fascinating resource for local, family and social historians and researchers in other fields throughout Australia. They were published by the government as a means of communication to officials and the general public and therefore contain information that is of great use in establishing an image of Australia and its people in the past.
The 1917 Queensland Government Gazette has information regarding:
- Appointments, promotions and resignations (including teachers)
- Trustees of cemeteries, hospitals, racecourses, Schools of Arts, sports grounds, grammar schools, &c.
- Magistrates and Justices of the Peace
- Members of Boards and Committees
- Brands and earmarks
- Dissolution of business partnerships
- Errors in deeds
- Government Acts and Proclamations
- Intestacy returns and notices
- Insolvency notices
- Rents on occupation licenses, List of rents of holdings; a variety of other land records
- Licences including auctioneers, bagatelle licences, licensed victuallers, winesellers, billiard licenses, fishing licences, packet licences and more
- Probate notices
- Professional lists including medical practitioners, chemists, dentists, ministers of religion, surveyors
- Transmissions of real estate by death
- and much more including road closures, unclaimed property and tender notices
SAMPLE ENTRY (from the 14 April 1917 issue):
Department of Public Lands, Brisbane, 13th April, 1917.
It is hereby notified that the undermentioned Selections, under "The Land Act of 1910," have become forfeited for failure to pay the annual rents and survey fees due.
J. M. HUNTER,
Secretary for Public Lands.
Register No. of Selection: 7416
No. of Portion (A. W. P.): 82v
Name of Selector: John Joseph Weldon Flemming
Area: 66 0 0
Land Agent's District: Brisbane
Register No. of Selection: 7579
No. of Portion (A. W. P.): Allot. 9, Sec 21
Name of Selector: Henry Breillat Fisher
Area: 7 2 17
Land Agent's District: ditto
Register No. of Selection: 4227
No. of Portion (A. W. P.): 130
Name of Selector: Patrick Joseph McHugh
Area: 2562 2 0
Land Agent's District: Rockhampton
With over 4200 pages in this volume, most people with an interest in Queensland during this period, will find something of interest.
High quality scanned images of the whole years worth of issues. This CD has been bookmarked for easy navigation, and pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text