Lands Guide: A Guide to Finding Records of Crown Land at Public Record Office of Victoria - book
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: BOOK - paperback, 430 pages
Author: P. Nelson & L. Alves
Other: b&w photos, maos, appendixes, glossary, index
Publisher: Public Record Office of Victoria / Gould Genealogy
The 'Lands Guide' is a comprehensive resource for accessing records relating to Crown land in the State of Victoria, and will be an indispensable finding aid for anyone doing research into Victoria's land records.
This publication caters to a wide range of research interests, whether you are wanting to find out about the lives of your ancestors or information about the history of land in a particular location in the State of Victoria.
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
Part 1. Orientation
1. Getting Started
2. Introduction to Crown Land in Victoria by Charles Fahey: Unlocking the Land
Part 2. Introduction to Crown Lands in Victoria
3. Records of the Crown Lands of Victoria
4. Victorian Land Legislation
5. Locating and Identifying Land in Victoria
6. Using Parish Plans
7. Types of Land Files and How to Find Them
8. File Numbers and Recordkeeping Systems Relating to Land
9. Summary and Source Records
10. Using Microfiche Catalogues VPRS 7311 and VPRS 7312
11. Administration of Crown Land 1836-1983
Part 3. Surveys, Squatters and Aboriginal People - Early Land Administration in Victoria
12. Victorian Survey Records
13. Grants of Land for Special Purposes, Crown Reserves and Commons
14. Pastoral Occupation and Pre-emptive Rights
15. Aboriginal Occupation of Land in Victoria from 1835
Part 4. Sale and Selection, Leases and Licences - The Demand for More Access to Land
16. Crown Land Sales by Public Auction
17. Crown Land Sales Other than by Public Auction
18. Land Selection under the 'Sale of Crown Lands Act 1860'
19. Residence and Cultivation Licences, 'Sale of Crown Lands Act 1860'
20. Land Selection under the 'Land Act 1862'
21. Land Selection under the 'Amending Land Act 1865' and Section 33 of the 'Land Act 1869'
22. Land Selection under the 'Land Act 1869' and 'Land Act 1878'
23. Land Selection under the 'Land Act 1884' and Subsequent Acts
24. Mallee Lands
25. Miscellaneous Leases and Licences
26. Grazing Leases and Licences
Part 5. Settlement Schemes - Crown Land Administration in the Twentieth Century
27. Lands on the Goldfields
28. Residence Areas
29. Village Settlements, Homestead Associations and Labour Colonies
30. Closer Settlement
31. Types of Closer Settlement Schemes
32. Soldier Settlement
33. Immigration and Lands
34. Rural Assistance and Indebtedness
Part 6. Environment, Industries and Infrastructure
35. Special Provisions for Special Industries
36. Life Event Registers, Rabbits, a Coalmine and Roads
37. National Parks and the Port Phillip Authority
Part 7. Other Resources
I have had this mighty tome on CD for some time, but took advantage of the print ed on Special. Print wins! It is such a complicated topic, and I find being to spread it on a table, with bookmarks, and look at several pages at once, while having a Parish map or similar, in hi-res, on a screen (laptop etc), makes coming to grips with complex property histories, or working out just who did own the piece of land, and how and when, so much easier than having to use the laptop beside the desktop or some other equally fiddly set up, in order to be able to see what I am doing, and searching for. And I can read it in bed without using ''a device''!
One of the best things of the many I have bought from Gould!