show / hide sidebar
Discover Your Sporting Ancestors: It was Not All Work and No Play! - EBOOK
Publisher: Unlock the Past
Media: EBOOK - download
File Format: PDF, 11MB (56 pages)
Author: S. Hicks
Other: b&w & colour photos, appendixes, bibliog, index
Publisher: Unlock the Past
Have you ever thought about what sporting activities your ancestors might have been involved with? Were they on the local cricket or football team, or did they play darts at the local pub? Were they keen anglers, swimmers or lifesavers? What about horse racing or regular track and field events? Perhaps they were good administrators and served on sporting committees rather than playing themselves. Men and women were both involved with sports and who can forget their own school sports.
Many communities had a local cricket, football or other sporting team and in some cases memorabilia and/or photographs have been handed down to alert us to an ancestor's involvement in a sporting activity. We may simply discover someone's involvement when searching newspapers or perhaps there is a mention of a sporting club in a funeral notice.
How do you discover more about what they did? This guide shows you where to look for more information and how to make the most of searching websites, newspapers, original records and published sources.
Why not discover your sporting ancestors?
NOTE: this product is a digital download.
- You will be sent an order confirmation email immediately.
- A link to download the file will be sent as soon as your payment is confirmed - usually within 24 hours of an order being placed Monday-Friday.
- Payments by PayPal are confirmed sooner - shortly after placing your order.
The download must be completed within 14 days of placing your order.
Discover sporting ancestors
- Home sources
- Family and local knowledge
- Post office directories and almanacs
Men, women and children's sport
- Online exhibitions
- Dedicated websites
- Online images
- Social media
- Sporting newspapers
- The Australian Periodical Publications 1840-1845 Project
- Sporting associations
- General histories
- Specific histories
- Biographical histories
- Oral histories
- Local histories
Archives of sporting bodies
- Current sporting groups
- Sporting groups no longer in existence
International sporting events
- Empire and Commonwealth Games
- Olympic Games (Summer and Winter)
- The Paralympics
Appendix 1. Case study North Adelaide Football Club
- Storage and cataloguing
- Current and future work
Appendix B. Case studies of sporting families
- The Metchers: a sporting family
- The Smith family: another sporting family
- Discover Your Sporting Ancestors: It was Not All Work and No Play! - printed book
Find Similar Products by Category
Customers also viewed