Australian Bailliere's Gazetteers Set
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (5 vols, 2206 pages)
Author: R. Whitworth
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
The word 'gazetteer' means 'a geographic dictionary or index', which is very appropriate for all 'Bailliere's' titles, as they are primarily an alphabetical listing of all places (large and small), together with geographical information and physical features.
Compiled over a period of 13 years by Robert P. Whitworth, and published by F.F. Bailliere in Melbourne, this series of Australian Gazetteers is ideal for researchers of Australian history, when trying to locate either small towns or regions, or ones that may have changed name.
Baillieres Gazetteers were compiled for most colonies in Australia during the 19th century. They generally contain the following:
- The most recent and accurate information (at publication date) for every township, village, hamlet, river, creek, mountain, lake, gold field, road and railway with its botanical, geological, and physical features.
- The division of the colony into counties, and electoral, council, pastoral, and municipal districts and hundreds with their boundaries and statistics.
- The names, areas, occupiers, positions, rentals, new valuations and grazing capabilities of the squatting stations with the best means of reaching them.
- Particulars of the coast survey, statistics of the ports, manufactures, and agricultural, pastoral, and mining pursuits, census of dwellings and population, areas in acreage and miles and comprehensive and correct electoral, municipal, district council and police information.
- A complete road itinerary, showing the easiest, most expeditious, and cheapest method of transit and conveyance of goods to and from every place in the colony by rail, coach, boat, dray or horse.
This CD is a compilation of five state editions together on the one CD. Buying it this way saves you big $$$s, because if you purchased each title individually, the total cost is would be $113.50. This title is a great tool for researching places throughout the whole of Australia in the 19th century.
Each title is also available individually:
Bailliere's New South Wales Gazetteer and Road Guide 1870
Bailliere's Queensland Gazetteer and Road Guide 1876
Bailliere's South Australian Gazetteer and Road Guide 1866
Bailliere's Tasmanian Gazetteer and Road Guide 1877
Bailliere's Victorian Gazetteer and Road Guide 1879
High quality scanned images of the whole of each original book. This CD has been bookmarked for easy navigation, and pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text