Australian Almanac and Sydney Directory 1834 (O'Shaughnessey)
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (383 pages)
Author: W. O'Shaughnessey
Year: (1834) 2008
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Almanacs are a valuable resource for local, family and social historians as well as for researchers in other fields of Australian history.
The 1834 is similar to the 1833 edition, in that it is titled 'Australian', but it is about New South Wales, it is divided into various sections: Calendar, Public Days; Australian Agriculture, Horticultue &c., Towns and Stations, Assigned Servants, Supreme Court, Court of Requests; Miscellaneous Local Information &c., Civil Establishment of the Colony; Military Establishment; Public Institutions; and Shipping and numerous more categories.
Unlike the 1833 edition, this edition contains a Sydney Directory. This directory (almost 100 pages) contains an alphabetical listing of the residents of Sydney. Listed alphabetically by surname, each entry lists name, occupation and address.
So with this publication which really is a 'reference book' for the year, you can find the answer to any number of questions:
- what are the costs of going to court
- what the rules relating to the sale of land
- details of assigned servants (convicts) laws
- a listing of the towns and stations (together with how many miles they are from Sydney)
- who the local postmasters are, when the mail arrives, and how much it costs to post a letter
- details of the various Governors of New South Wales, Lieutenant-Governors and Magistrates as well some Military Personnel
- the public institutions lists all the local societies, and those who are committee members
- chronology of 'remarkable events' starting with 1770 and going through to the end of 1833
- and the list could go on and on ...
This product provides a great tool for researching New South Wales history making information that is difficult to find easily accessible on CD.
High quality scanned images of the whole of the original book. This CD has been bookmarked for easy navigation, and pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text