Trace Your German Roots Online: A Complete Guide to German Genealogy Websites
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: BOOK - paperback, 208 pages
Author: J. Beidler
Other: b&w photos, tables, appendix, index
Publisher: Family Tree Books
Explore your Germanic heritage from the comfort of your own computer! "Trace Your German Roots Online" highlights important German resources on popular genealogy website including Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org, as well as lesser-known resources such as Archion.de.
With helpful illustrated step-by-step instructions, you'll learn how to use each site to its fullest potential for German genealogy, including how to get around language barriers and navigate the various German states that have existed throughout the centuries.
In addition, this book contains links to the best websites to consult when answering key German genealogy questions, from unpuzzling place names to locating living relative in the old country.
"Trace Your German Roots Online" features:
- Tips to find and use German databases, records, and research tools on Ancestry.com, FamilySearch.org and other popular genealogy websites
- Guidance for helpful German-focused research websites, including how to translate using foreign-language sites
- Recommended websites for accomplishing key German research tasks
- Worksheets to log research progress and at-a-glance guides to help you identify important terms and resources
Part 1. German Genealogy Basics
1. Beginning Your German Research
2. Researching German Genealogy on the Internet
3. Untangling German Place Names and Surnames
Part 2. Top German Genealogy Websites
4. FamilySearch.org: The Largest Free Genealogy Website
5. Ancestry.com: The Ultimate Über-site
6. Genealogy.net: Two Websites in One
7. MyHeritage: A Forest of Family Trees
8. Archion: Protestant Church Records Galore
Part 3. Answers to your Research Questions
9. How do I Identify Ancestors' Place of Origin?
10. Where Else Can I Access Church Records?
11. How do I Contact People and Places in Germany?
12. What Organizations and Archives Can Help my Research?
13. How Can Social Media Sites Help?
14. What Else Should I Add to my Toolbox?
Appendix A. Maps
Appendix B. Website Index