Salem Messenger 1891-1913
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (1154 pages)
Year: (1891-1913) 2009
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
The "Salem Messenger" was a magazine produced by the Salem Baptist Church in Gumeracha in South Australia. Published quarterly from 1891 to 1913, it served a much wider area than just Gumeracha, ranging through much of the north-east hills and even to Mannum and further afield. We have gathered the only known surviving copies of this remarkable newspaper - 62 of about 90 issues that were originally published.
Some of what you will find includes:
- Church news - meeting reports, preaching plans, anniversaries etc
- Information about people - births, marriages, deaths, obituaries, reports of comings and goings, health etc.
- A four part history of the church from 1843 to 1891
- Historical notes on other hills townships and churches
- Community news generally
- Advertisements for many local businesses
- Comments on developments and issues of the time ("The introduction of mowing machines into the district has not pleased the working men")
- Comments on election candidates and prospects
High quality scanned images of the all issues that are currently available, this CD set has been bookmarked for easy navigation, and pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text