Queensland Post Office Directory Compendium 1901-1905 (Wise)
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 2 CDs (7289 pages)
Author: H. Wise
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Directories are an invaluable resource for local, family and social historians as well as for researchers in other fields of Australian history. While they do not give you birth, death and marriage details - core records for genealogists and family historians - they can certainly provide you with information on the region where your ancestors lived, as well as information on their occupation and much more.
This compendium of Wise's directories contains the five directories covering the 1901-1905 period. Each is very comprehensive containing the following sub-directories:
- Brisbane post office directory, with information on residents alphabetically by street
- Country towns (including many which are now suburbs of Brisbane): in general, it gives the location, other significant details about the town and a listing of residents
- Overall Alphabetical directory
- Legal - includes barristers, solicitors, conveyancers and commissioners for taking affidavits
- Medical includes hospitals and medical / dental boards, medical practitioners, pharmaceutical chemists, and dental surgeons
- Educational includes teachers at Private schools as well as teachers and professors of drawing, music, painting and shorthand
- Ecclesiastical Church of England, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Congregational, Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Queensland Methodist Conference, Hebrew Church, Salvation Army, United German and Scandanavian Lutherans, Lutheran Synod, Catholic Apostolic, Church of Christ, Independent Methodist, New Jerusalem, United Methodist Free Church (the list varies between years)
- Pastoral and Agricultural: one listing according to the type of enterprise (for example, sugar refiners, sugar planters, vignerons, arrowroot manufacturers, coffee planters, fruit growers, and poultry farmers) and another an alphabetical listing of stations, runs and grazing farms
- Local Government
- Official lists the federal representatives for each state, key Commonwealth Departmental officials and similar state representatives and officials for Queensland
- and hundreds of advertisements
BRISBANE - (Boys) Head Master, Reg. H. Roe, M.A.; (Girls) Head Mistress, Miss M. H. Wilkinson
IPSWICH - (Boys) Head Master C. A. Flint, M.A.; (Girls) Head Mistress Miss Maud Connell, M.A.; Teacher, Miss Estelle Cribb
MARYBOROUGH - (Boys) Head Master, Jas. Thomson, M.A. (Girls), Head Mistress, Miss C. E. Bourne
This compendium set of directories contains hundreds of thousands of people, many with occupations and addresses and gives insight into first years of life in 20th century Queensland.
These CDs contains high quality scanned images of each of the original volumes, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text
Click here to download a file of sample pages from this book. Right click on the link and select "save as" - to a location on your hard drive. The sampler can be opened, navigated and searched as with the full CD file/s. Sample files usually contain the title page, contents, some introductory pages and sample pages from the body of the book. Often the complete index from the original book is included.
Queensland Post Office Directory 1901 (Wise)
Queensland Post Office Directory 1902 (Wise)
Queensland Post Office Directory 1903 (Wise)
Queensland Post Office Directory 1904 (Wise)
Queensland Post Office Directory 1905 (Wise)