Queensland Police Gazette 1884
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (281 pages)
Year: (1884) 2006
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
During 1884 the Queensland Police Gazette was issued fortnightly, and stated that it "contains information received in cases of felony and of misdemeanour, and against receivers of stolen property, reputed thieves, and offenders escaped from custody, with the time, place, and circumstances of the offences, and description of offenders or those suspected, giving the appearance, dress, and other marks of identity, with every particular which may lead to their apprehension; and a description, as accurate as possible, of property that has been stolen, horses, &c."
This truly is an historian's goldmine of information which cannot be found elsewhere. Apart from any changes within the police force which are all listed, information is also given on housebreak-ins, robberies, arson, murders, lost horses and cattle, deserters, escaped prisoners, reports on those released, even deaths reported to the police (together with their place of death and cause of death given). Notices from interstate police gazettes are sometimes included.
Unique features of this particular year's worth of issues is that they contain the following:
- lists of Justices of the Peace from Queensland and New South Wales
- lists of Medical Practitioners (who registered in New South Wales prior to separation)
- lists of Chemists and Druggists
- lists of Ministers of Religion (authorised to celebrate marriages in the colony)
- also listings of those who have licences for auctionering, distilling, billiards, retail spirit dealing, and the transfer of publican licences
High quality scanned images of the whole of the years worth of issues. This CD has been bookmarked for easy navigation, and pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text