New South Wales Government Gazette 1857
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (2264 pages)
Year: (1857) 2010
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
The Government Gazettes are a unique, useful and extremely fascinating resource for local, family and social historians and researchers in other fields throughout Australia. They were published by the government as a means of communication to officials and the general public and therefore contain information that is of great use in establishing an image of Australia and its people in the past.
The New South Wales Government Gazette of 1857 contains:
- appointees to government positions
- appointments of Magistrates and Justices of the Peace
- court cases
- convicts gaining (and being deprived of) Tickets of Leave
- convicts granted Free Pardons and Conditional Pardons including the terms of the pardon
- dissolution of business partnerships
- land for sale
- licenses for auctioneers, timber, spirit merchants, brewers, and notices for publicans, confectioners, hawkers & pedlars licensing meetings
- medical witnesses at coroners inquests and inquiries held before Justices of the Peace
- police appointments
- probate and letters of administration announcements
- ship's deserters
- successful tenderers for runs
- unclaimed letters
- and much more
A particular feature of the 1857 gazette is an 80 page report on the census held on 1 March 1856.
SEAMEN who have deserted from their respective vessels, and been reported at the Shipping Master's Office, Sydney:-
From the "Kangaroo" John Henry Howe, A.B., about 24 years of age, 5 feet 7 inches high, an Englishman, formerly in the pilot crew at Port Macquarie; supposed to have gone towards Port Macquarie. A warrant is issued.
This CD contains high quality scanned images of the whole years worth of original issues, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text
Click here to download a file of sample pages from this book. Right click on the link and select "save as" - to a location on your hard drive. The sampler can be opened, navigated and searched as with the full CD file/s. Sample files usually contain the title page, contents, some introductory pages and sample pages from the body of the book. Often the complete index from the original book is included.