New South Wales Directory 1928 (Sands)
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (3700 pages)
Author: J. Sands
Year: (1928) 2009
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
The Sands' directories are one of the best known of the Australian directories as well as one of the most comprehensive. Directories are an invaluable resource for local, family and social historians as well as for researchers in other fields of Australian history. While they do not give you birth, death and marriage details - the core records for genealogists - they can certainly provide you with information on the region where your ancestors lived, as well as information on their occupation and more.
Divided into six main sections: Street directory; Alphabetical directory; Trade and Professions directory; Country Commercial directory; Country Trades and Professions directory and a Pastoral directory.
- Street directory lists householders street-by-street, and covers Sydney, Alexandria, Annandale, Ashfield and Summer Hill, Auburn, Balmain, Bankstown, Beecroft, Bexley, Botany, Burwood, Cabramatta, Canley Vale, Canterbury, Concord, Darlington, Drummoyne, Dundas, Eastwood, Enfield, Epping, Ermington and Rydalmere, Erskineville, Fairfield, Glebe, Gordon, Granville, Holroyd, Homebush, Hornsby, Hunters Hill, Hurstville, Killara, Kogarah, Kuring-gai, Lane Cove, Leichhardt, Lidcombe, Lindfield, Liverpool, Manly, Marrickville, Mascot, Mosman, Mount Colah, Newtown, Normanhurst, Northmead, North Sydney, Paddington, Parramatta, Pennant Hills, Petersham, Pymble, Randwick, Redfern, Rockdale, Roseville, Ryde, St Ives, St Peters, Smithfield, Strathfield, Sutherland Shire, Thornleigh, Turramurra, Vaucluse, Wahroonga, Warringah Shire, Waterloo, Waverley, Willoughby, and Woollahra.
- Alphabetical directory is state-wide, and lists persons alphabetically by surname, together with their address, and usually their occupation
Trade and professions directory - arranged alphabetically by trade and lists the person, together with their trade and address
- Country Commercial lists alphabetically by town and gives the name and occupation
- Country trades and professions arranged as its city equivalent
- Pastoral directory lists alphabetically by town giving the person, address, the numbers of horses, cattle, sheep and acreage
Other useful mini-directories included, provide the names and positions of hundreds of people, in the following categories:
- Musical Societies, Sporting clubs and Associations
- Government and Parliamentary - the MPs, heads of departments, military, and more are listed
Users should always refer to the display advertisements because not only do they give you a sense of the era, but they often provide names and addresses.
This CD contains high quality scanned images of the original book, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text
Click here to download a file of sample pages from this book. Right click on the link and select "save as" - to a location on your hard drive. The sampler can be opened, navigated and searched as with the full CD file/s. Sample files usually contain the title page, contents, some introductory pages and sample pages from the body of the book. Often the complete index from the original book is included.