Tasmania Police Gazette 1918
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (267 pages)
Year: (1918) 2009
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Police gazettes provided information and instructions to members of the police force. You can expect the Tasmanian Police Gazettes (in the earliest years called Reports of Crime) to include the following information that will usually list names and sometimes personal details, descriptions with photograph, addresses and/or occupations may be an added bonus for the researcher:
- convict returns
- disciplining of police
- escapees and absconders from custody
- housebreakers and burglars
- licensed carriers, hawkers, oyster fishers, and tanners
- deserting wives, families, etc
- deserting from military service
- deserting from merchant vessels
- missing friends
- murderers and their victims
- police resignations
- prisoners discharged from gaols and released on tickets of leave
- property and stock recovered
- rewards - names of persons offering a reward
- victims of arson
- victims of horse and cattle stealing or straying
- victims of lost or stolen property
- victims of sheep stealing or straying
SAMPLE ENTRIES taken from the 12 April 1918 issue:
William Royal Fisher, Stoker, 2nd Class, native of Richmond, Victoria, age 20, height 5 feet 6 inches, fresh complexion, dark-brown hair, brown eyes.
Inquests of Bodies
Hobart - Louisa Grace Bowerman, aged one year and five months. An inquest was commenced on the body of the abovenamed infant on the 29th ultimo, adjourned to the 2nd instant, and concluded on the 4th instant, before H.S.R. Wright, Esq., Coroner. Verdict: "Died from shock caused by burns"
The Police Gazettes are a fascinating read even if you don't have family there at the time. Reading the entries gives you a little feel of the happenings and life in 1918 Tasmania.
High quality scanned images of the whole years worth of issues. This CD has been bookmarked for easy navigation, and pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text
Click here to download a file of sample pages from this book
Right click on the link and select "save as" - to a location on your hard drive. The sampler can be opened, navigated and searched as with the full CD file/s.
Sample files usually contain the title page, contents, some introductory pages and sample pages from the body of the book. Often the complete index from the original book is included.