Tasmania Police Gazette 1912
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (318 pages)
Year: (1912) 2009
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Police gazettes provided information and instructions to members of the police force. You can expect the Tasmanian Police Gazettes (in the earliest years called 'Reports of Crime') to include the following information that will usually list names and sometimes personal details, descriptions with photograph, addresses and/or occupations may be an added bonus for the researcher:
- disciplining of police
- escapees and absconders from custody
- housebreakers and burglars
- licensed carriers, hawkers, oyster fishers, and tanners
- deserting wives, families, etc
- deserting from military service
- deserting from merchant vessels
- missing friends
- murderers and their victims
- police resignations
- prisoners discharged from gaols and released on tickets of leave
- property and stock recovered
- rewards - names of persons offering a reward
- victims of arson
- victims of horse and cattle stealing or straying
- victims of lost or stolen property
- victims of sheep stealing or straying
SAMPLE ENTRIES (from the 4 October 1912 issue):
DESERTERS FROM H.M. SERVICE
From H.M.S. "Cambrian"
On the 28th ultimo - PERCY WILLIAM HALLAM, Stoker, native of The Nile, Tasmania, age 23, height 5 feet 11 inches, stout, erect build, blue eyes, large nose, clean teeth, large protruding ears, round pleasant face, fresh complexion. A reward not exceeding £1 will be paid for the arrest of the abovenamed deserter.
INQUEST ON BODIES
Gormansto - ST CLAIR STONE, age 23 years, miner. An inquest was held on the body of the above-named person on the 23rd ultimo before E.W. Turner, Esq., Coroner. Verdict: "Accidenatlly killed on the 22nd ultimo by a fall of earth at the Mt. Lyell Mine".
High quality scanned images of the whole years worth of issues. This CD has been bookmarked for easy navigation, and pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text