Queensland Police Gazette 1918
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (729 pages)
Year: (1918) 2008
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Police Gazettes are not only unique in their content, but they are a greatly undervalued, and underused source for researchers of local, family and social history. Compiled to be distributed amongst the Police Force only, these Gazettes therefore contain details and information that can not be found anywhere else.
Although information did change a little over time, in general you can expect to find the following included in each issue:
- convictions without custodial sentence
- escapees and absconders from custody
- lost or stolen property and stocknames of victims
- deserting wives, families, etc
- deserting from military service
- deserting from merchant vessels
- missing friends
- persons suspected or wanted for a crime and warrants issued
- police resignations, dismissals and discharges
- police killed in action or dying in the service
- police promotion examination results and appointments
- prisoners tried at supreme and circuit courts
- prisoners discharged from gaols
- prisoners released under licence
- prohibited immigrants
Often entries include names and aliases, sometimes addresses, and personal physical details. Sometimes other family members are mentioned, and occasionally a photograph.
SAMPLE ENTRY (from the 26 January 1918 issue):
Return of Persons Summary Convicted ... But Not Sent to Gaol
Name of Offender: Alfred Morris
Where Tried: Sandgate
Offence: Wilfully and unlawfully destroying a pane of glass
How Disposed of: Admonished; parent ordered to pay 2s. 3d. damages, 3s. 6d. costs of court, and 5s. witnesses' expenses
Native of: Queensland
Height: 4ft. 4in.
Distinguishing Marks, &c: Nil
Gazettes are published by governments and their agencies as a means of communication to officials and the general public. As such they are useful, not only to monitor the actions of the government, but also as far as family historians are concerned, they are valuable primary source documents.
High quality scanned images of the whole years worth of issues. This CD has been bookmarked for easy navigation, and pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text