New Zealand Post Office Directory 1894-95 (Wise)
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (1816 pages)
Author: H. Wise
Year: (1894) 2008
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Looking for someone in New Zealand in the mid 1890s? Have you looked at directories? Directories are one of the most effective ways of tracing members of a family, especially tradesmen. Many small businesses needed to ensure the public was aware of their activity and one of the better ways to do this in an age before media dominated was via a directory. The value of directories as a research tool is enhanced when no census material is available.
Wise's Directories are not only one of the best known, but are also one of the most comprehensive. This directory contains the names, addressed and occupations of thousands of people in 1800+ pages.
The main sections of the book, in which researchers are likely to find names and addresses are:
- country-wide alphabetical directory
- town and district directories
- city street directoriesAuckland, Christchurch, Dunedin, Invercargill, Wellington
- trades directory
Names can be found in the following sections sometimes accompanied with additional information:
- manufacturers of English goods for export to New Zealand
- banking and financebank managers
- legaljudges and magistrates, court officials, coroners, crown prosecutors, sheriffs, barristers and solicitors, justices of the peace
- ecclesiastical clergy
- insurancecompany administrators
- educationaladministrators, tertiary educators, head teachers, private school teachers
- medicalOtago University School of Medicine, medical associations, medical practitioners, hospital administrators, dentists, chemists
- pastoral and agricultural
- municipalcounty, town and borough clerks, harbour masters, road and river boards
- government directorieselected members, ministers and government departmental administrators
A vast resource of information for any historian with an interest in New Zealand and its people. Now available for the first time on fully searchable CD-ROM, viewing this information has never been easier.
High quality scanned images of the whole of the original book. This CD has been bookmarked for easy navigation, and pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with` searchable text