Melbourne Directory 1874 (Sands and McDougall)
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (1063 pages)
Author: Sands & McDougall
Year: (1874) 2008
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
What is a Directory?
In general terms a directory is an extended version of our current day white pages and yellow pages combined (without the telephone numbers). They list many thousands of names, occupations and addresses ... but also so much more.
What information does this Directory contain?
The Sands and McDougall directories (or Sands and Mac as some know them), are known to be amongst the most comprehensive. Divided into various sections you will find the following: Alphabetical name directory, Street directory, Trade and Professional directory, Government and Official directory, Ecclesiastical directory, Legal and Municipal directory and hundreds of Advertisements.
How can this Directory help me?
They contain an immense amount both information, both for the genealogist and historian.
- The alphabetical section lists the names of each head of household and their town of residence, in many cases their occupation and street address is also listed.
- The street directory lists individuals and businesses alphabetically by name of street and number for the larger populated regions.
- The trade and professional directories contain information on businesses and companies, listed alphabetically by trade.
- The other sections contain names of holding government positions, those in medical and ecclesiastical professions, society office holders, and much more ...
- The advertisements are a useful source of information as well.
What areas are covered by this Directory?
This street directory covers both Melbourne and its suburbs: which include Melbourne proper, Alphington, Ascot Vale, Balmoral, Bolingbroke, Boroondara, Box Hill, Forest, Brighton (West, East and South), Brunswick, Camberwell, Cambridge, Camdentown, Carlton and Carlton North, Caulfield, Cheltenham, Coburg (formerly Pentridge), Collingwood, East Melbourne, Elsternwick, Elwood, Emerald Hill, Essendon, Fitzroy and Fitzroy North, Flemington, Fitzroy and Fitzroy North, Footscray and Footscray Upper, Gardiner, Gowerville (Preston), Greenwich, Hartwell, Hawthorn, Heidelberg, Hotham, Irishtown, Ivanhoe, Jolimont, Kensington, Kew, Malvern, Moonee Ponds, Mulgrave, Newlands, Newmarket, Northcote, Oakleigh, Pentridge (see Coburg), Prahran, Preston, Richmond, Sandridge, St Kilda, South Melbourne, South Yarra, Thomastown, Toorak, West Melbourne, Westgarthtown, Williamstown, Windsor, Yarraberg (Richmond) and Yarraville (see Footscray).
High quality scanned images of the whole of the original book. This CD has been bookmarked for easy navigation, and pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text