Melbourne Directory 1864 (Sands and McDougall)
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (608 pages)
Author: Sands & McDougall
Year: (1864) 2008
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Sands directories are one of the most comprehensive, and they list thousands of residents in Melbourne at the time. The whole directory, including most text in the ads, is searchable. This makes it useful not only for finding names, but also places, occupations and other information for family and local historians.
In this directory you can expect to find people named with their addresses under:
- Street directory (Melbourne, Brighton, Brunswick, Collingwood, East Melbourne, Emerald Hill, Essendon, Flemington,Footscray, Hawthorn, Kew, North Melbourne, Northcote, Prahran, Richmond, Sandridge, St Kilda, Toorak, West Melbourne, Williamstown)
- Alphabetical directory (state-wide)
- Trade and professional directory
Other sections including names but usually not addresses:
- Commerce managementbanking, insurance companies, friendly societies, gold mining companies, railways, shipping
- Societies, lodges and institutionspatrons, presidents, secretaries, treasurers
- GovernmentMPs, heads of departments, receivers of revenue, paymasters, commissioners of crown lands, harbour masters and pilots, inspectors of distilleries, immigration agents, military officers
- Courtsjudicial officers, sheriffs, bailiffs, commissioners for taking affidavits, coroners
- Municipalitiescouncillors, town clerks,
Users should always refer to the display advertisements as they often provide names and addresses.
Directories are one of the most effective ways of tracing members of a family, especially tradesmen. Many small businesses needed to ensure the public was aware of their activity and one of the better ways to do this in an age before media dominated was via a directory. The value of directories as a research tool is enhanced when no census material is available.
High quality scanned images of the whole of the original book. This CD has been bookmarked for easynavigation, and pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text