show / hide sidebar
London and Middlesex Family History Resources Online - EBOOK
Publisher: Unlock the Past
Media: EBOOK - download
File Format: PDF, 6MB (64 pages)
Author: A. Stewart
Other: b&w photos, index
Publisher: Unlock the Past
London is often called a county in itself. In 1901, as many people lived in the UK's capital city (4.5 million in the Administrative County of London) as in either Scotland or Ireland. The even larger Metropolitan Police District contains two million more (as many as the population of Wales).
This concise guide explains what is meant by 'London' at different times, from its origins in the Roman Empire 2000 years ago, through the growth of the 'City' until Greater London's almost complete absorption of the county of Middlesex in the 20th century.
Most of the main London records are online, and this guide covers internet access to civil registration (births, marriage and deaths) from 1837, the 1841-1911 census returns, and parish registers (baptisms, marriages and burials) from 1538.
In addition, it looks at websites for non-conformist registers, gravestone inscriptions, armed forces' records, wills, criminal records, newspapers, local histories, directories and gazetteers. London's family history societies and the city's major archives are also covered, as are many London-specific websites.
NOTE: this product is a digital download.
- You will be sent an order confirmation email immediately.
- A link to download the file will be sent as soon as your payment is confirmed - usually within 24 hours of an order being placed Monday-Friday.
- Payments by PayPal are confirmed sooner - shortly after placing your order.
The download must be completed within 14 days of placing your order.
1. What do we mean by 'London'?
2. Civil registration records
- City of London
- Administrative County of London
- What is a parish?
- Greater London
- London Boroughs
3. Census returns
- Census returns online
4. Parish registers
- Marriage licences
- Parish registers online
5. Non-conformist and non-parochial registers
- Non-conformist and non-parochial registers online
6. Monumental inscriptions
- Monumental inscriptions online
- War memorials
7. Wills and administrations
- Greater London church courts
- Online images and indexes of wills and administrations
8. Armed forces' records
- British Army
- Royal Navy
- Royal Air Force
- Royal Marines
- How to apply for a post-First World War service record
9. Criminal records
- London and Middlesex
- Other crime and criminal websites
- Newspaper archives online
11. Local histories, gazetteers and directories
- Victoria County History of England
- Other histories of the London area
- Gazetteers and directories
12. Genealogy and family history societies
- Society of Genealogists (SoG)
- London, Westminster and Middlesex FHS (LWMFHS)
- East of London FHS (EoLFHS)
- East Surrey FHS (ESFHS)
- Hillingdon FHS (HFHS)
- North West Kent FHS (NWKFHS)
- Waltham Forest FHS (WFFHS)
- West Middlesex FHS (WMFHS)
- Woolwich and District FHS (WDFHS)
- Family history society publications
- London Metropolitan Archives (LMA)
- City of Westminster Archives Centre (CWAC)
- The National Archives (TNA)
14. Other London-specific records and websites
- London Lives
- Map websites
- Other London websites
- London and Middlesex CDs and other publications
- London and Middlesex portals
- London and Middlesex Family History Resources Online - printed guide
MORE ENGLISH PRODUCTS
Customers also viewed