Fifty Years History of Kensington and Norwood
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (249 pages)
Year: (1903) 2007
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
A valuable history and record of this significant early community close to the city of Adelaide. To quote from the Preface -:"On December 26th, 1902, the Council of the Town of Kensington and Norwood decided at its ordinary meeting to publish a sketch of the rise and progress of the town from the inauguration of Municipal Government in 1853 to the year 1903the date of the jubilee of the town. This little work to which these lines form the introduction is the outcome of the Council's resolution"
Outline of Contents
- Then and Now - Early KensingtonEarly NorwoodEarly Kent Town-Communication with the CityNewspapers.
- The Council and its Work
- Parliamentary Representation - Public Works.
- Sir E. T. Smith
- Public Buildings And Resorts
- Public Health.
- The Fire Brigade
- People - PoliceVisits Of RoyaltySome Old ResidentsIn Memoriam-Personal.
- Education - Schools
- Religious, Charitable and Friendly Societies
- The ChurchesDistrict Trained Nursing SocietyEast
- Some Private Institutions - HotelsThe Chief ResidencesBuilding SocietiesCemeteries.
- Comparative Statistical Returns - the Census, 1855-1901.
- Sports And Pastimes
Includes many photos of people and houses and other buildings
This CD contains high quality scanned images of the whole of the original book, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text
Click here to download a file of sample pages from this book. Right click on the link and select "save as" - to a location on your hard drive. The sampler can be opened, navigated and searched as with the full CD file/s. Sample files usually contain the title page, contents, some introductory pages and sample pages from the body of the book. Often the complete index from the original book is included.