show / hide sidebar
Discover Scottish Civil Registration Records - EBOOK
Publisher: Unlock the Past
Media: EBOOK - download
File Format: PDF, 5MB (52 pages)
Author: C. Paton
Other: colour photos, appendixes, index
Publisher: Unlock the Past
This guide from family historian Chris Paton takes a look at the vast world of Scottish civil registration records. Scotland commenced the statutory registration of births, marriages and deaths within the country in 1855, some seventeen and half years after a similar process had already got underway in England and Wales.
The information lost to the family historian by such a late start is, however, more than made up for by the fact that Scottish registration records are the most detailed of all those found within the British Isles.
But what was the law behind Scottish registration, and how did it differ to England, Wales and Ireland? Who was legally obliged to do what and when, what were the penalties for default, and how might such knowledge help with our ancestral research? Why were all the forms of Scottish irregular marriage not abolished in 1939, and what angered the country's doctors? Where are the records not found online via ScotlandsPeople, such as those for adoption, vaccination, civil partnerships and divorce - and what vital records does the General Register Office in England hold for Scots as far back at the 1760s, and far beyond Britain's shores?
NOTE: this product is a digital download.
- You will be sent an order confirmation email immediately.
- A link to download the file will be sent as soon as your payment is confirmed - usually within 24 hours of an order being placed Monday-Friday.
- Payments by PayPal are confirmed sooner - shortly after placing your order.
The download must be completed within 14 days of placing your order.
Part 1. Civil registration in Scotland
Establishment of civil registration
Registration of births
- Locating birth records
- Minor records of birth
- Locating vaccination records
- Registration of regular marriage
- Irregular marriage
- Registration of irregular marriage
- Introduction of civil marriage
- Same sex marriage
- Locating marriage records
- Minor records of marriage
- Other marriage records
Registration of deaths
- Medical certificates
- Locating death records
- Minor records of deaths
- Registers of Corrected Entries
- The Book of Scottish Connections
Part 2. Registration in the British Isles
England and Wales
- Locating English and Welsh records
British overseas and military records
- Locating Irish records
Appendix 1. Glossary
Appendix 2. Further reading
Appendix 3. English and Welsh BMD indexes in Australia and New Zealand
- New Zealand
- Discover Scottish Civil Registration Records - printed guide
MORE SCOTTISH PRODUCTS
Customers also viewed