Australian Handbook 1891
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (962 pages)
Year: (1891) 2011
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Covering New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, West Australia, Tasmania, Queensland, New Zealand, New Guinea and Fiji Islands, the Australian Handbook and Almanac and Shippers and Importers Directory for 1891, the twenty-second year of issue, is a guide with all kinds of interesting and unique information.
Apart from a descriptive account and statistical information for New Zealand, New Guinea, Fiji and each of the Australian colonies and their towns, you will also find details on climate, education, religion, agriculture, population, societies and clubs, parliamentary and official departments, local self-government, telegraphic and postal details, police, banking, shipping, mining and land regulations, newspaper, manufacturers, emigration, as well as naval and military forces. You will also find details of the governors, consuls and ecclesiastical appointments of the time. This handbook gives a snapshot of the world of our ancestors in the early 1890s.
RUSSELL'S CREEK (38° S. lat., 146° 7' E. long.), a post town in the county of Tanjil, and electoral district of Gippsland Central, on the creek of the same name, which runs into the Tanjil river, 104 miles SE. of Melbourne, and 17 miles from the Moe Railway Station. The district is described as mining and pastoral. On June 30, 1890, there were 77 miners at work, an area of two square miles being actually worked upon, and 22 distinct quartz reefs have been proved auriferous. Population of township and vicinity 200.
The Directory and Business Guide portion of the Handbook is a comprehensive listing of importers, exporters and shippers. For the importers and exporters it lists their name, address and what they trade (musical instruments, ironmongery, leather, photographic materials, and more) - exporters from England, Scotland, France, Germany, and California and importers throughout Australia, New Zealand and Fiji.
Features of this Handbook include:
- emigration information "likely to be of service to intending Emigrants"
- land regulations for each state and New Zealand
- mining regulations for each state and New Zealand
- Australasian ministries
- leading events in Australia from December 1889 to November 1890
- obituaries of people who died between December 1889 and November 1890
- hundreds of advertisements
- The handbook includes many maps exploration routes, rainfall, geographical features and land surface characteristics; railway routes for each colony (including New Zealand and Fiji); and street maps of London, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane.
This product contains high quality scanned images of the original handbook. It has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text