The Record and Trades Register: July 1887-January 1888
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (286 pages)
Year: (1887) 2007
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
This CD contains the first seven monthly issues of "The Record and Trades' Register of the United Mercantile Society of Australasia Limited". It was issued to members of the society to assist them in the conduct of their business. The society, which in 1887 "now numbers is membership in the thousands", was established to undertake operations as follows:
- Debt collection for its members
- Action, advice and consultation on members' business
- filing bills of sale, liens on crops and wool, stock mortgages
- registering of deeds
- searches for probate etc
The record of these and other activities is contained in the pages of this journal, which was issued free to members
Were members of your family at the time:
- involved in giving or receiving a bill of sale
- declared insolvent?
- involved in a giving or receiving a bill of sale?
- a mortgagor or mortgagee on stock or wool?
- a plaintiff or defendant in the small debts court?
- involved in an application for probate or letters of administration - in their will or estate or as a applicant?
- dissolving a partnership
- a member of the United Mercantile Society of Australasia
If so then you may find information on them here. This periodical has a wealth of information you may not have even considered before.
The main record is supplemented by further useful information:
- a 35 page index to the first half year ending December 1887 - covering six of the seven issues in the volume. This index is described as a "complete record of all bills of sale, stock mortgages, liens on wool, crops, insolvencies, assignments, &c, &c ... for New South Wales, and the insolvencies, partnerships dissolved &c, for Queensland and Victoria.
- a special trades register covering many businesses
- advertisements for some of the leading businesses
- a list of vessels that sailed form Sydney during October and November 1887 with details of rig, tonnage, master, destination, agent and date.
The whole 288 page volume is searchable, including most text in the advertisements. It is useful not only for finding names, but also places, occupations and other information.
Originally produced by Archive CD Books Australia in 2004, this title has now been remastered and re-released, and includes better searching capability. This CD contains high quality scanned images of the whole of the original book, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text
Click here to download a file of sample pages from this book. Right click on the link and select "save as" - to a location on your hard drive. The sampler can be opened, navigated and searched as with the full CD file/s. Sample files usually contain the title page, contents, some introductory pages and sample pages from the body of the book. Often the complete index from the original book is included.