Queensland Post Office Directory 1923 (Wise)
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (1250 pages)
Author: H. Wise
Year: (1923) 2010
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Directories are an invaluable resource for local, family and social historians as well as for researchers in other fields of Australian history. While they do not give you birth, death and marriage details - core records for genealogists and family historians - they can certainly provide you with information on the region where your ancestors lived, as well as information on their occupation and much more.
This large WiseÂs directory for 1923-24 is comprehensive in its coverage. It contains the following directories:
- Brisbane post office directory, with information on residents alphabetically by street
- Country towns (including many which are now suburbs of Brisbane): in general, it gives the location, other significant details about the town and a listing of residents; for Bundaberg, Charters Towers, Ipswich, Manly, Maryborough, Rockhampton, Toowoomba, Townsville, Wynnum and Wynnum South it lists the residents by street Â Darwin (Northern Territory) is included in this section.
- Overall Alphabetical directory
- Trades (from Academies to X-Ray Apparatus Merchants)
- Medical - includes hospitals and medical / dental / pharmacy boards (doctors, dentists, dermatologists, pharmaceutical chemists etc appear under the Trades Section)
- Ecclesiastical Â Church of England, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Congregational, Baptist, Queensland Methodist, Seventh Day Adventists, Salvation Army, United Evangelical Lutheran, Evangelical Lutheran, Catholic Apostolic, Church of Christ, United Welsh Church, United Danish Evangelical Lutheran, Christian, Brisbane City Mission, Bavarian Lutheran, Brisbane Society of the New Church, Christadelphian, Joyful News Mission, Peoples Evangelical Mission
- Local Government
- Harbours, Rivers and Ports
- Official - lists the federal representatives for each state, key Commonwealth Departmental officials and similar state representatives and officials for Queensland
- Postal & Telegraphic
- Pastoral and Agricultural: one listing according to the type of enterprise (for example, apiarists, arrowroot manufacturers, coffee planters, cotton growers, fruit growers, rubber planters, sugar planters, tobacco growers and vignerons) and another an alphabetical listing of stations, runs and grazing farms with over 1,000 sheep, 200 cattle and 100 horses
- and hundreds of advertisements
FOSSILBROOK, COOK CHILLAGOE DIST. RI Lyndbrook, Etherbridge rail, th 4Â½ m
Dowker Alex, frmr
Fulford Jno, Springfield Stn
Hardgreaves Frank, btchr
Hardgreaves Roy, Amber Stn
Hogan E M, postmistress
Hogan Thos J, const
Keane Arth, drover
This directory contains hundreds of thousands of people, many with occupations and addresses and gives insight into the start of the third decade of 20th century Queensland.
This CD contains high quality scanned images of the original book, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text