Queensland Post Office Directory 1919 (Wise)
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (1158 pages)
Author: H. Wise
Year: (1919) 2010
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Directories are an invaluable resource for local, family and social historians as well as for researchers in other fields of Australian history. While they do not give you birth, death and marriage details - core records for genealogists and family historians - they can certainly provide you with information on the region where your ancestors lived, as well as information on their occupation and much more.
This large Wises directory is comprehensive in its coverage. It contains the following directories:
- Brisbane post office directory, with information on residents alphabetically by street
- Country towns (including many which are now suburbs of Brisbane): in general, it gives the location, other significant details about the town and a listing of residents
- Overall Alphabetical directory
- Trades (from Academies to Woollen Merchants)
- Medical includes hospitals and medical / dental boards (doctors, dentists etc appear under the Trades Section)
- Educational list includes teachers at Private schools as well as teachers of business subjects, dressmaking, music, painting, dancing, languages, singing, physical culture, fencing, cooking and elocution
- Ecclesiastical Church of England, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Congregational, Baptist, Queensland Methodist, Seventh Day Adventists, Salvation Army, United German & Scandinavian Lutheran, Evangelical Lutheran Church of Australia, Catholic Apostolic, Church of Christ, United Welsh Church, United Danish Evangelical Lutheran, Christian, Brisbane City Mission, Bavarian Lutheran, Brisbane Society of the New Church, Christadelphian, Joyful News Mission, Peoples Evangelical Mission
- Pastoral and Agricultural: one listing according to the type of enterprise (for example, apiarists, arrowroot manufacturers, cotton growers, fruit growers, rubber planters, sugar planters, tobacco growers and vignerons) and another an alphabetical listing of stations, runs and grazing farms with over 1,000 sheep, 200 cattle and 25 horses
- Local Government
- Harbours, Rivers and Ports
- Official lists the federal representatives for each state, key Commonwealth Departmental officials and similar state representatives and officials for Queensland
- and hundreds of advertisements
STATIONS, RUNS, AND GRAZING FARMS
WITH OVER 1000 SHEEP, 200 CATTLE, AND 25 HORSES
Station or holding is given first; secondly, name of owner or holder; thirdly, post town; and lastly, number of stock.
Abbadoah, (exors) T Manns, Cunnamulla: 2100s
Abbotsford, Chas J B Abbott, Hughenden; 2000s, 25h
Abbot Block, G J Fischer, Bowen, 200c
Abbotsford, Chas J B Abbot, Stamfordham, 2000s, 25h
Abbotsford, A D Cameron, Gladstone, 61h>
This directory contains hundreds of thousands of people, many with occupations and addresses and gives insight into second decade of life in 20th century Queensland.
This CD contains high quality scanned images of the original book, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text