Queensland Post Office Directory 1912 (Wise)
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (850 pages)
Author: H. Wise
Year: (1912) 2010
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Directories are an invaluable resource for local, family and social historians as well as for researchers in other fields of Australian history. While they do not give you birth, death and marriage details - core records for genealogists and family historians - they can certainly provide you with information on the region where your ancestors lived, as well as information on their occupation and much more.
This large Wise's directory is comprehensive in its coverage. It contains not just a post office directory, with information on residents together with their address (both street-by-street and alphabetical), but also the following directories:
- North Brisbane and South Brisbane
- Country towns (including many which are now suburbs of Brisbane): in general, it gives the location, other significant details about the town and a listing of residents
- Trades (from Academies to Woven Wire Fencing Manufacturers)
- Legal includes barristers, solicitors, notaries public and conveyancers
- Banking and Finance including a list of Bank Towns, Building Societies and Land, Mortgage & Finance Companies
- Medical includes medical practitioners, hospitals, pharmaceutical chemists, dental surgeons and masseuses
- Educational list includes teachers at Private schools as well as teachers of music, painting, dancing, languages, elocution, business subjects and shorthand
- Ecclesiastical Church of England, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Congregational, Baptist, German Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Progressive Christian, Progressive Christian, Apostolic, West End Gospel Mission, Queensland Methodist, Seventh Day Adventist, Hebrew, Salvation Army, Lutheran (United German & Scandinavian, and Evangelical), Catholic Apostolic, Church of Christ, Independent Methodists, Moravian, United Methodist Free Church, United Welsh Church, Joyful News, Christian, Bavarian Lutheran, Christadelphian, and Brisbane Society of the New Church
- Pastoral and Agricultural: one listing according to the type of enterprise (for example, apiarists, fruit growers, cotton growers and rubber planters) and another an alphabetical listing of stations, runs and grazing farms with over 1,500 sheep or 300 cattle
- Local Government
- Official lists the federal representatives for each state, key Commonwealth Departmental officials and similar state representatives and officials for Queensland
- and hundreds of advertisements
Brisbane Street Directory
........... Sydney st .............
Trickett Jas J, Yarghati
Ryan Mrs Bridget
Norris Ern H
Common Thos B, Lyndhurst
Right hand side: Muir Jas, Vakalo
............ Merthyr rd ............
This directory contains hundreds of thousands of people, many with occupations and addresses and gives insight into early 20th century Queensland.
This CD contains high quality scanned images of the original book, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text
Click here to download a file of sample pages from this book. Right click on the link and select "save as" - to a location on your hard drive. The sampler can be opened, navigated and searched as with the full CD file/s. Sample files usually contain the title page, contents, some introductory pages and sample pages from the body of the book. Often the complete index from the original book is included.