Queensland Post Office Directory 1901 (Wise)
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (1452 pages)
Author: H. Wise
Year: (1901) 2010
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Directories are an invaluable resource for local, family and social historians as well as for researchers in other fields of Australian history. While they do not give you birth, death and marriage details - core records for genealogists and family historians - they can certainly provide you with information on the region where your ancestors lived, as well as information on their occupation and much more.
This large Wise's directory is comprehensive in its coverage. It contains the following directories:
- Brisbane post office directory, with information on residents alphabetically by street
- Country towns (including many which are now suburbs of Brisbane): in general, it gives the location, other significant details about the town and a listing of residents
- Overall Alphabetical directory
- Trades (from Academies to Woollen Merchants)
- Legal - includes barristers, solicitors, conveyancers and commissioners for taking affidavits
- Medical includes hospitals and medical / dental boards, medical practitioners, pharmaceutical chemists, and dental surgeons
- Educational includes teachers at Private schools as well as teachers and professors of drawing, music, painting and shorthand
- Ecclesiastical Church of England, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Congregational, Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Queensland Methodist Conference, Hebrew Church, Salvation Army, United German and Scandanavian Lutherans, Lutheran Synod, Catholic Apostolic, Church of Christ, Independent Methodist, New Jerusalem, United Methodist Free Church
- Pastoral and Agricultural: one listing according to the type of enterprise (for example, sugar refiners, sugar planters, vignerons, arrowroot manufacturers, coffee planters, fruit growers, and poultry farmers) and another an alphabetical listing of stations and runs of Queensland
- Local Government
- Official lists the federal representatives for each state, key Commonwealth Departmental officials and similar state representatives and officials for Queensland
- and hundreds of advertisements
See also Tobacconists, many of whom are also Hairdressers.
Ackers Wm. J. Ebagoola
Akes N. R. Gill st. Charters Towers
Anderson Neil C. Cooktown
Andrews William A. Gill st. Charters Towers
Appleton Wm. F. Clermont
Arina Jas. Ebagoola
Barnes Wm. Mitchell
This directory contains hundreds of thousands of people, many with occupations and addresses and gives insight into the early years of life in 20th century Queensland.
This CD contains high quality scanned images of the original book, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text