Queensland Post Office Directory 1895 (Wise)
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (1266 pages)
Author: H. Wise
Year: (1895) 2009
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Directories are an invaluable resource for local, family and social historians as well as for researchers in other fields of Australian history. While they do not give you birth, death and marriage details - the core records for genealogists - they can certainly provide you with information on the region where your ancestors lived, as well as information on their occupation and much more.
This large Wise's directory is comprehensive in its coverage. It contains not just a post office directory, with information on residents together with their address (both street-by-street and alphabetical), but also the following directories:
- North Brisbane, South Brisbane and nearby areas which are now suburbs of Brisbane
- Country towns: in general, it gives the location, population, local officials, and the local trades and professions; it also records the average attendance at the school where relevant
- Station and Stock Owners: a list of the principal stations with the name of district, post town and owner
- Post and Telegraph
- Ports and Harbours
- Justices of the Peace
- Miscellaneous - tariff, licenses, and stamp duties
- Masonic: lists the lodges, office bearers and meeting days for all the lodges in Queensland
- Societies and Institutions: lists the societies and the office bearers
- and hundreds of advertisements
An agricultural township on the Maryborough-Gympie Railway, 15 miles S. from Maryborough. Population, 67
POSTMISTRESSMrs. R.E. Bell
TRADES AND PROFESSIONS
BLACKSMITH P. Brandt
FARMERS P. Elliott, C. Brandt, R. Beatty, W. Neal, R. Hodge, H. Harris, G. Slator, J. Brown
SUGAR PLANTATIONS G. Philpot, G. Ford, P. Elliott
TIMBERGETTERS G. Slator, H. Harris
This directory contains hundreds of thousands of people, many with occupations and addresses and gives insight into late 19th century Queensland.
This CD contains high quality scanned images of the original book, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text
Click here to download a file of sample pages from this book. Right click on the link and select "save as" - to a location on your hard drive. The sampler can be opened, navigated and searched as with the full CD file/s. Sample files usually contain the title page, contents, some introductory pages and sample pages from the body of the book. Often the complete index from the original book is included.