Queensland Commercial Directory 1947 (Wise)
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (786 pages)
Author: H. Wise
Year: (1947) 2012
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Directories are an invaluable resource for local, family and social historians as well as for researchers in other fields of Australian history. While they do not give you birth, death and marriage details - core records for genealogists and family historians - they can certainly provide you with information on the region where your ancestors lived. This large commercial Wises directory for 1947 is comprehensive in its coverage.
It contains the following sections (as described in the directory):
- Brisbane and Valley Commercial Section. A list of all commercial streets in Brisbane, The Valley, Petrie Terrace and Spring Hill, arranged alphabetically, describing the location at the commencement and showing intersecting streets. Commercial premises are shown numerically with names of all business or professional occupiers. Postal District numbers are included.
- Brisbane & Valley Classified Trades & Professions. A classified section for Brisbane, The Valley, Petrie Terrace and Spring Hill addresses only. Names are arranged alphabetically under classified trade headings according to business or profession conducted.
- Suburban Section. Contains separate classified sections for each suburb and place in the Greater Brisbane area. Suburbs are arranged alphabetically.
- Country Towns Section. Comprises all Towns, Townships and Districts outside the boundaries of Greater Brisbane. The direction, distance from Brisbane, population and local Government Authority is included for every place. Names are listed under each town and include Farmers, Graziers, Orchardists, Fruitgrowers, Planters, etc., in addition to commercial, business and professional names.
- Alphabetical Section. This is an alphabetical list of the names and addresses of all firms, businesses, professions and organisations in Queensland.
- Queensland Trades and Professions. A classified section for the whole of Queensland. Names are arranged alphabetically under classified trade headings according to the business or profession conducted and include the names and addresses of every company, firm or business in the whole of Queensland. Every organisation or person in business is listed, including the professions. There are over 900 different classifications. An Index to this section is included in the front of the book.
- Ecclesiastical Section. Includes the names and addresses of Ministers of Religion, arranged according to denomination.
- Local Government and Population. Contains statistical information and details of Cities, list of Towns and date of proclamation and the names of all Shires and the place of Council meeting. Population and area in square miles of all Cities, Towns and Shires.
- Official Section. Contains Federal and State Government Information, Ministries, Members of the Senate, House of Representatives, Executive and Legislative Councils. Commonwealth and State Departments, with the names of principal officers. Stamp Duties and Postal, Telegraphic and Money Order charges.
- and hundreds of advertisements
Country Towns Section
AMIENS, Stanthorpe Shire, 199 m S W fr Bris by rl. Pop, 343
Amiens State School
Archer J K, orchdst
Bassa & Co P, orchdsts
Batterham C W, grzr
Batterham J R, frmr
Boatfleld Herbt W, orchdst
This product contains high quality scanned images of the original directory. It has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text