Letters From Queensland
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (119 pages)
Author: F. Shaw
Year: (1893) 2009
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Published in 1893, this book collects together a series of letters written between December 1892 and February 1893 by Flora Louise Shaw, The Times Special Correspondent.
There are six letters:
- Queensland (Brisbane, 10 November) an overview of the whole colony
- The Sugar Industry in Queensland a look at the industry historically and in the present; the scanned book included a loose news clipping from The Times, 22 September 1894, which refers back to the original letter on the Sugar Industry
- The Mineral Wealth of Queensland (Rockhampton) discusses the mining regions of the colony: including gold at the Charters Towers, Mount Morgan, Gympie, Croydon, Etheridge, Ravenswood, Palmer, Russell, Hodgkinson, Bowen, Cloncurry and Cooktown fields; copper, lead and silver at Chillagoe and Herberton and tin at Eureka Creek
- Pastoral Queensland (Blackall, Western Queensland) (2 letters) a reflection on the Queensland bush and its contrast to London: the temperature, rainfall, isolation, floods, animals, timber, stations. The author notes that You are permeated with sunshine ... the invigorating smell of the earth is always in your nostrils
- The Queensland Separation Question a look at the question of the separation of northern and central Queensland from southern Queensland. The elements of size and diversity of climatic conditions form the basis of the demand for separation by the North and Central divisions. Before passing on to the details by which the demand is supported, it is worth while to glance at the map and realise that the sub-division which is asked for would create three colonies, each of them, roughly speaking, of about the size of France.
This CD contains high quality scanned images of the original book, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text