Growth in Fifty Years 1859-1909: Presbyterian Church of Victoria
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (143 pages)
Author: D. Stewart
Year: (1909) 2010
Publisher: Archive Digital Books Australasia
Covering the growth in the Presbyterian Church of Victoria from 1859 to 1909, this Jubilee history has been written following the church from "seed" to "fruit".
It covers the early days, the arrival of James Clow, John Dunmore Lang and other pioneers of the church; it touches on education the establishment of a Theological Hall, a Deaconess' Institute, Ormond College, Scots' College, Geelong College, and Ladies' College; on organising the congregations, Sabbath Schools, Guilds and Clubs and the missionary enterprises.
A biographical notes section includes the names of ministers admitted before 1859 who are not mentioned in the text, ministers admitted after 1859 who have gone to their rest, and ministers at present in retirement.
GILLESPIE, Rev. W. J. - Born in County Antrim, Ireland. Ordained in 1854. Held charge in County Antrim, Ireland for 13 years. On coming to Victoria, settled at Coleraine, Casterton, Merino and Digby (one charge) in 1868. Immense parish came to be subdivided. Casterton formed into separate charge in 1882, Merino, and Digby in 1889; remained minister of Coleraine till date of retirement in 1902. Moderator of General Assembly in 1890.
This CD contains high quality scanned images of the original book, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable text