Directories are an invaluable resource for local, family and social historians as well as for researchers in other fields of Australian history. While they do not give you birth, death and marriage details - core records for genealogists and family historians - they can certainly provide you with information on the region where your ancestors lived, as well as information on their occupation and much more.
This large Wise's directory which includes Port Moresby, Papua (New Guinea) and Darwin (Northern Territory) is comprehensive in its coverage. It contains the following directories:
- Brisbane post office directory, with information on residents alphabetically by street
- Country towns (including many which are now suburbs of Brisbane): in general, it gives the location, other significant details about the town and a listing of residents; there are full street directories for Bundaberg, Charters Towers, Ipswich, Maryborough, Toowoomba, Rockhampton and Townsville
- Overall Alphabetical directory
- Trades (from Academies to Woollen Merchants)
- Medical – includes hospitals and medical / dental boards (doctors, dentists etc appear under the Trades Section)
- Educational – list includes teachers at Private schools as well as teachers of business subjects, dressmaking, music, painting, dancing, languages, singing, physical culture, fencing, cooking and elocution
- Ecclesiastical – Church of England, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Congregational, Baptist, Queensland Methodist, Seventh Day Adventists, Salvation Army, United Evangelical Lutheran Church of Australia, Evangelical Lutheran, Catholic Apostolic, Church of Christ, United Welsh Church, United Danish Evangelical Lutheran, Christian, Brisbane City Mission, Bavarian Lutheran, Brisbane Society of the New Church, Christadelphian, Joyful News Mission, Peoples Evangelical Mission
- Pastoral and Agricultural: one listing according to the type of enterprise (for example, apiarists, arrowroot manufacturers, coffee planters, cotton growers, fruit growers, rubber planters, sugar planters, tobacco growers and vignerons) and another an alphabetical listing of stations, runs and grazing farms with over 1,000 sheep, 200 cattle and 100 horses
- Local Government
- Harbours, Rivers and Ports
- Official – lists the federal representatives for each state, key Commonwealth Departmental officials and similar state representatives and officials for Queensland
- and hundreds of advertisements
Beeston street, New Farm
Right hand side fr Gibbon at
Karrasch Mrs Jno F R
Coulter Geo, Ulster
Daly Frank J
Short Alex, Ida Leigh
Hill Henry W
This directory contains hundreds of thousands of people, many with occupations and addresses and gives insight into third decade of life in 20th century Queensland.
This CD contains high quality scanned images of the original book, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.