A massive directory of almost 2,400 pages, this Sands and McDougall directory, which in 1929 was in its 73rd year of publication, consists not only of a Melbourne Directory, but also its Suburbs and the country areas too. It is divided into five main sections:
Separate directories are given for the following areas, making the work comprehensive and complete:
- City Streets Directory, with a street index, and street by street listings of all houses and the householder at each address
- A Country Directory section that lists people alphabetically for each town together with their occupation
- An Alphabetical Directory covering the whole of Victoria
- Melbourne and Suburban Professional and Trade Directory, listing people by their trade
- Country Professional and Trade Directory, complements the Melbourne list to give coverage of all Victoria
The directory includes many pages of advertisements - all useful information, often including names of people and places. The whole directory, including most text in the advertisements, is searchable, useful not only for finding names, but also places, occupations and other information for family and local historians.
- Agricultural and Pastoral – lists people alphabetically by their agricultural activity
- Government and Official – Commonwealth and Victorian office bearers
- Legal and Judicial – including Justices of the Peace
- Consuls and Trade Commissioners
- Ecclesiastical – the Australian Church, Baptist, Catholic Apostolic, Church of England, Congregational, Free Presbyterian, Greek Orthodox, Hebrew Synagogue, Latter Day Saints, Lutheran, Melbourne Society of the New Church, Methodist, Particular Baptist, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, Salvation Army, Seventh Day Adventist, Society of Friends (Quakers), Unitarian Church, Welsh Presbyterian
- Asylums, Homes, Cemeteries, Friendly Societies, and Hospitals
ACCOUNTANTS AND AUDITORS
Adams, F. H., Horsham
Adams, Wm. T. C., Hamilton
Archer Basil L., Hamilton
Bechervaise. E. & Son, Geelong
Bentley, J. J., Swan Hill
Blacklock. Jno. F., Orbost.
The whole directory, including most text in the advertisements, is searchable. This makes it useful not only for finding names, but also places occupations and other information for family and local historians.
This CD contains high quality scanned images of the original indexes, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.