Electoral rolls are the nearest thing Australians have to census records, and hence they are extremely important and useful for local, family and social historians.
There are in excess of 10,000 pages in the full set of 1939 Commonwealth electoral rolls for Queensland. Entries are arranged alphabetically within each subdivision. You will find the details of about 600,000 voters who resided in Queensland at this time, and who were entitled (and registered) to vote. Importantly, the roll includes the names of many women qualified to vote.
The electoral divisions covered by this CD are:
The following information is included for most (but not all) entries:
- Brisbane - Brisbane, Fortitude Valley, Ithaca, Kelvin Grove, Merthyr, Paddington, and Toowong
- Capricornia - Banana, Bundaberg, Duaringa, Eidsvold, Emerald, Fitzroy, Gladstone, Keppel, Livingstone, Mount Morgan, Musgrave, Nebo, Rockhampton, Rockhampton North, St. Lawrence, and Springsure
- Darling Downs - Allora, Clifton, Crow’s Nest, East Toowoomba, Esk, Gatton, Greenmount, Helidon, Highfields, Ipswich North, Killarney, Laidley, Leyburn, Marburg, Oakey, Rosewood, Toowoomba, Warwick, and Yarraman
- Griffith - Bulimba, Buranda, Coorparoo, Kurilpa, Maree, South Brisbane and Stephens. There is a detailed map and description of the boundaries for each of the subdivisions.
- Herbert - Ayr, Bowen, Ingham, Innisfail, Mackay, Mirani, Proserpine, Thuringowa, Townsville, and Tully
- Kennedy - Alpha, Aramac, Atherton, Barcaldine, Boulia, Burke, Cairns, Charters Towers, Chillagoe, Clermont, Cloncurry, Cooktown, Croydon, Dalrymple, Douglas, Georgetown, Gordonvale, Herberton, Hughenden, Longreach, Mareeba, Muttaburra, Normanton, Pentland, Ravenswood, Richmond, Somerset, and Winton.
- Lilley - Enoggera, Nundah, Sandgate, Toombul, and Windsor. There is a detailed map and description of the boundaries for each of the subdivisions.
- Maranoa - Adavale, Augathella, Blackall, Bollon, Charleville, Chinchilla, Cunnamulla, Dalby, Eulo, Gayndah, Goondiwindi, Inglewood, Isisford, Jondaryan, Jundah, Miles, Mitchell, Nanango, Pittsworth, Roma, St. George, Stanthorpe, Surat, Tambo, Taroom, Texas, Thargomindah, Windorah, and Yeulba
- Moreton - Beaudesert, Boonah, Bremer, Cleveland, Goodna, Harrisville, Ipswich, Logan, Moggill, Mount Gravatt, Sherwood, Southport, The Islands, and Wynnum
- Wide Bay - Biggenden, Caboolture, Childers, Gin Gin, Gympie, Howard, Kilkivan, Landsborough, Maleny, Maryborough, Mount Perry, Nambour, North Pine, Pialba, Tiaro, Widgee, Wondai, and Woodford
- No. on Roll
- Christian name and surname in full
- Place of living
- Commonwealth Division and the Subdivision
DIVISION OF DARLING DOWNS.
ROLL OF ELECTORS for the Subdivision of LAIDLEY.
No., Name in Full, Place of Living, Occupation, and Sex of each Elector.
M signifies male; F signifies female.
1 ABRAHAM, Anna, Blenheim, home duties, F
2 Adams, Audrey Alice, Yarongmulu, home duties, F
3 Adams, David Richard, Yarongmulu, station master, M
4 Adams, Emily, Campbell st., Laidley, home duties, F
Each District is also available individually:
Queensland Commonwealth Electoral Roll 1939 Brisbane
Queensland Commonwealth Electoral Roll 1939 Capricornia
Queensland Commonwealth Electoral Roll 1939 Darling Downs
Queensland Commonwealth Electoral Roll 1939 Griffith
Queensland Commonwealth Electoral Roll 1939 Herbert
Queensland Commonwealth Electoral Roll 1939 Kennedy
Queensland Commonwealth Electoral Roll 1939 Lilley
Queensland Commonwealth Electoral Roll 1939 Maranoa
Queensland Commonwealth Electoral Roll 1939 Moreton
Queensland Commonwealth Electoral Roll 1939 Wide Bay
This CD contains high quality scanned images of each of the original rolls, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.