In November 1836, Colonel William Light found a safe anchorage
on the eastern side of St Vincent's Gulf at Holdfast Bay, about 11 km south-west
of where central Adelaide is now situated. Glenelg was favoured by freshwater
lagoons and shady trees, and on 28th December 1836, Captain John Hindmarsh
proclaimed His Majesty's Province of South Australia at the proclamation tree,
later to be a much photographed bent eucalypt.
This Guide and Directory is a valuable record for those with
connections to this seaside community. Divided into two main sections, the first
contains the history of amenities in an around Glenelg. Everything from the
first sale of land, the the post office, customs, the jetty, the baths,
churches, the morgue, banks, police stations, Governors of SA and
The second section is a directory of residents of Glenelg. These
are arranged alphabetically by surname, and provide occupation, home street
address, and work address for most who are listed.
This CD makes is a valuable history and record of this
significant early community.
Originally produced by Archive CD Books Australia in 2004, this title has now been remastered and re-released, and includes better searching capability. This CD contains high quality scanned images of the whole year's worth of issues, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.