What is a Directory?
In general terms a directory is an extended version of our current day white
pages and yellow pages combined (without the telephone numbers). They list many
thousands of names, occupations and addresses ... but also so much more.
What information does this Directory contain?
This large Sands and McDougall directories (or Sands and Mac as many people know
them as), are known to amongst the most comprehensive.
Divided into various sections you will find:
- Alphabetical name directory
- Street directory
- Trade and Professional directory
- Government and Official directory
- Ecclesiastical directory
- Legal and Municipal directory
What areas are covered by this Directory?
This directory covers both Melbourne and its suburbs: which include Melbourne
proper, Ascot Vale, Boroondara, Brighton, Brunswick, Carlton, Caulfield, East
Collingwood, East Melbourne, Emerald Hill, Elsternwick, Elwood, Essendon,
Fitzroy and Fitzroy North, Flemington, Footscray, Hawthorn, Heidelberg, Hotham,
Jolimont, Kendington, Kew, Malvern, Moonee Ponds, Newmarket, Northcote, Oakleigh,
Pentridge, Prahran, Preston, Richmond, Sandridge, St Kilda, Studley Park, South
Yarra, Toorak, West Melbourne, Williamstown, and Windsor.
How can this Directory help me?
They contain an immense amount both information, both for the genealogist and
- The alphabetical section lists the names of each head of household and
their town of residence, in many cases their occupation and street address
is also listed.
- The street directory lists individuals and businesses alphabetically by
name of street and number for the larger populated regions.
- The trade and professional directories contain information on businesses
and companies, listed alphabetically by trade.
- The advertisements are a useful source of information as well.
High quality scanned images of the whole of the original book. This CD has been bookmarked for easy navigation, and pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.