Have you ever come across a place that you just don't know where it is, and when you've looked in the current atlases it doesn't appear? Maybe it has since changed its name, or maybe it is such a small place that it doesn't get listed in modern atlases, or maybe the place no longer exists ... if you're looking for South Australian places and information on them, here's a publication for you.
This gazetteer and road guide contains the following comprehensive
information for South Australia in 1866:
- The most recent and accurate information (at publication date) as to every
township, village, hamlet, river, creek, mountain, lake, gold field, road and
railway in South Australia with its botanical, geological, and physical
- The division of the colony into counties, and electoral, council, pastoral ,
and municipal districts and hundreds with their boundaries and statistics
- The names, areas, occupiers, positions, rentals, new valuations and grazing
capabilities of the squatting stations with the best means of reaching them
- Also, particulars of the coast survey, statistics of the ports, manufactures,
and agricultural, pastoral, and mining pursuits, census of dwellings and
population , areas in acreage and miles and comprehensive and correct electoral,
municipal, district council and police information
- Also a complete road itinerary, showing the easiest, most expeditious, and
cheapest method of transit and conveyance of goods to and from every place in
the colony by rail, coach, boat, dray or horse
- Includes a scanned image of the large foldout map that was in the original.
A great tool for researching places throughout the whole of South Australia in the
High quality scanned images of the whole of the original book. This CD has been bookmarked for easy navigation, and pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.