Directories are a great resource for genealogists, social and local historians ... no they don't give you BDM details, but they can give you much interesting information about a person and the place they lived in.
The Sands' directories are among the most comprehensive and best known of Australian directories. This 1863 Sands' Commercial and General Sydney Directory contains 13 directories in one.
You will find the following included:
- Street Directory (lists houses/businesses street-by-street, together with the head of the household and occupation)
- Suburban Directory (lists persons in the suburbs alphabetically by surname, together with their address, and sometimes occupation)
- Alphabetical Directory (lists persons in Sydney alphabetically by surname, together with their address, and sometimes occupation)
- Trade and Professional Directory (occupations are listed alphabetically, with a listing of each person, and address - similar to current day yellow pages)
- Bank and Public Companies
- Various Companies
- Artistic, Literary, Scientific, and Benevolent Institutions
- Masonic Institutions
- Government and Official Directory
- Ecclesiastical Directory
- Legal Directory
- Medical Directory
- Municipal Directory
Major suburbs of Sydney that are included are Balmain, Bishopsthorpe, Bondi, Camperdown, Coogee, Cook's River Road, Darling Point, Double Bay, Enmore, Glebe, Kingston, Manly, Marrickville, Newtown, North Shore, Paddington, Petersham, Randwick, Redfern, Rose Bay, Ruchcutters' Bay, Shepher's Paddocks, South Head Roads, Stanmore, Waterloo, Waverley and Woollahra.
This will be a useful reference for all with connections to the region at this time.
High quality scanned images of the whole of the original book. This CD has been bookmarked for easy navigation, and pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.