Bendigo in 1891 had a population of about 100,000 people which placed it as the third largest regional centre in Victoria after Geelong and Melbourne.
This volume charts the history of the town and city in the 40 years since it was founded in 1851, when gold was discovered. Word of the discovery spread quickly and soon after the township of Sandhurst was established. It was not until 1891 that the city's name was changed to Bendigo, in honour of the
bare knuckled boxer, William "Abednego" Thompson, whose name had been lent to
the creek where gold was first discovered.
It covers the discovery and mining of gold, as well as the growth of the town into a city, and all that it encompasses, such as the laws and administration, progress and development, council and politics, newspapers and journalism, the public institutions, churches, water supply, agriculture and more. Also covered is the Duke of Edinburgh's visit, and the announcement of Sandhurst (Bendigo) as a city.
This comprehensive look at the history of Bendigo, which shows immense changes in both the region and population, in such a short time span, is a valuable record for those who have an interest in the region as well as those interested in mining, and Australian history in general.
High quality scanned images of the whole of the original book. This CD has been bookmarked for easy navigation, and pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.