If you had family living in South Australia in the latter 1930s, have you
thought of looking at the Police Gazettes for information? These are a unique,
useful and extremely fascinating resource for local, family and social
historians. Compiled to be distributed amongst the Police Force only, these
Gazettes contain details and information that can not be found anywhere else.
Issued weekly, this CD-ROM is a compilation of all 52 regular issues of the
South Australia Police Gazette that were issued throughout the year. Each issue is
between 8-12 pages in length, and contains information such as warrants issued,
arrests and discharges, escaped prisoners, appointments and changes in the Police Service,
licence applications, missing persons, inquest verdicts, deserters from families
and deserters from service are also included. Stolen cars and motorbikes feature
heavily throughout this era. Notices from Police Gazettes from other states are also often
Example entries all taken from the 25 May 1932 issue: [note: only a
portion has been transcribed here]
The following list of hawkers' licences issued for the period ended April 30th,
1932, is published for general information.
1. Hamdan, Solomon, 57, George Street, Thebarton, four-wheeled vehicle.
2. Hamdan, Hassan Solomon, 57, George Street, Thebarton, four-wheeled vehicle
3. Babbage, Alfred Horace, Selby Street, Grassmere, Glandore, Post Office, motor
4. Lock, Philip Richard, 104, Kenilworth Road, Parkside, pack.
5. Young, William, 200, Young Street, Parkside, pack.
6. Stinson, Charles Alfred, 3 Rothermore Street, Avenue Park, via Clarence Park,
7. Walker, Alfred John, 90, Old Port Road, Queenstown, pack.
8. Rix, Mrs. Ottilie Meta, 1A, Elizabeth Street, Evandale, motor vehicle.
This is a valuable South Australian resource that is now available for all,
that is not only easy to use, fully-searchable, and very affordable.
High quality scanned images of the whole years worth of issues. This CD has
been bookmarked for easy navigation, and pages can be searched, browsed,
enlarged and printed out if required.