This almanac and gazetteer is full of information for the family historian, social historian and general researcher of Queensland in this era.
The Almanac contains information on everything – events scheduled throughout the year, a calendar, time azimuth tables, coast lights, tide signals, sailing directions, port harbour dues, mining progress, agriculture, gardening calendar, cookery, stations, holdings and runs, local governing bodies, industries, fisheries, medical hints, stamp duties, postal information and much more.
The Gazetteer includes a list of post towns, telegraph stations, money order offices, and railway stations in Queensland also the days of departures of mail to and from Brisbane, together with a legal section covering the Supreme Court; Courts of Petty Sessions; Insolvency, Intestacy and Insanity; Registration of Friendly Society and the Titles and Stamp Office.
It also gives details of the following groups as well as names and contacts for them:
- Stations, holdings and runs in settled and unsettled districts carrying either 100 horses, 500 cattle or 5,000 sheep and over – name of the station, nearest post town, and name of the lessee or occupant
- Local governing bodies for the cities, towns and shires – where applicable gives date of proclamation, mayor, councillors and other officials plus statistical information
- Governor, Executive Council, and members of the Legislative Council and Assembly
- Government departments
- the military and naval forces
- medical – Medical Board, Pharmacy Board, Dental Board, Insanity, Reception Houses for the Insane, Lock Hospitals, Bacteriological Institute, and Quarantine
- hospitals – including the Hospital for Sick Children, Charters Towers District Hospital, Rockhampton Hospital, Rockhampton’s Children’s Hospital and the Queensland Ambulance Transport Brigade Hospital
- institutions, societies & clubs – including the Royal Geographical Society of Australasia, the Royal Society of Queensland, Queensland Museum, Queensland Acclimisation Society, Queensland National Art Gallery, Queensland Photographic Society, Ipswich Amateur Photographic Society, Public Library of Queensland, School of Arts, Young Men’s Christian Association, Brisbane Liedertafel, Brisbane Musical Union, Queensland Club, Johnsonian Club, Brisbane Club, Townsville Scottish Association and more
- sporting clubs – including Race Clubs, Amateur Athletics, Football, Cricket, Sailing, Rowing, Swimming, Bowls, Tennis, Lacrosse, Polo, Rifle, Golf, Cycling, Kennel Club, Angling, Chess and Gymnastics
- friendly societies such as the Ancient Order of Forresters, United Ancient Order of Druids, Independent Order of Oddfellows, Independent Order of Rechabites
- temperance societies – the Queensland Temperance Alliance, Brisbane Total Abstinence Society, Woman’s Christian Temperance Union and the Independent Order of Good Templars
- masonic lodges
QUEENSLAND ACCLIMATISATION SOCIETY
Bowen Bridge Rd., Brisbane
Patron—H.E. the Governor; President— L. G. Corrie, F.Q.I.A., F.L.S.;
Honorary Scientific Members—F. M. Bailey, F.L.S., Colonial Botanist,
J. F. Bailey, Assistant Botanist, H. Tryon, Government Entomologist,
J. C. Brunnich, Government Chemist, Dr. John Lauterer, G. Phillips, C.E.,
C. W. de Vis, M.A., Queensland Museum; Overseer— J. Mitchell;
Secretary—H. J. Johnson.
This CD contains high quality scanned images of the original book, and has been bookmarked for easy navigation. Pages can be searched, browsed, enlarged and printed out if required.