The Kangaroo Islanders: A Story of South Australia Before Colonisation 1823
- Usually Ships Within 7 Days
Media: BOOK - paperback, 300 pages
Author: W. Cawthorne & Ed. R. Hosking
Year: (c1850) 2020
Other: b&w & colour photos, bibliog
Publisher: Wakefield Press
Written in the mid-1850s before any official or more orthodox history of the South Australian colony had appeared, 'The Kangaroo Islanders' is one of the few colonial novels that represents in fleeting glimpses some of the improvisational and interactive encounters between the colonisers and the colonised on the edges of the island continent.
Rick Hosking has annotated the book extensively with absorbing historical information and fascinating details of personalities and events, making this new edition of 'The Kangaroo Islanders' a delight for history buffs.Author W.A. Cawthorne was an artist, and this new edition of his classic work includes colour reproductions of some of his best watercolours.
Introduction by Rick Hosking
2. An Australian Morn - Captain Meredith - Mr Ratlin - The Rescued Sailor
3. The Hot Wind - The Lost Boat
4. The Cruise Ashore - Long Hill - Snakes - Old Sam
5. The Islanders and their Homes - A Row - Caught in a Trap
6. Long Bill's Scheme - The Mate Lost in the Bush - All Start for the Beach - The Plot
7. Mr Ratlin Goes Ashore in Search of the Lost Boat - His Adventures
8. The First Party Reach the Beach - The Invisible Boathouse - Sam's Anecdote - The Pull on Board - The Shark's Fin
9. Mr Ratlin Survives the Night - Reaches the Beach - Jack Straw Saves Him - Goes on Board
10. Captain Meredith Lands - Georgy, alias Doctor Parson - How Sam Lost his Bible - The Native Oven
11. A Kangaroo Island Dinner - Baked Wild Dog - Roasted Iguana - Ant Eggs - Wakeries, etc. - Proposed Visit to the Main
12. Night - The Native Women - Missionaries - The Pull Out of the Creek - The Midnight Squall
13. The Brig Sails, and Tows the Boats of the Islanders - Anecdotes About Georgy - Hog Bay - The Islanders Depart
14. A Singular Harbour - A Stroll Ashore - An Islander Joins the Brig - Althorpe Islands
15. Love and its Consequences - Flash Tom's Yarn About the Althorpe Island Tragedy - Tom Goes Ashore
16. The Murder of Flash Tom
17. Native Signals - Old Conday - The Interview - The Rape of the Black Sabines - The Death of Long Bill
18. The Wreck of the Brig - The Desertion of s Boat's Crew - Captain Meredith Reaches the Mainland
Chapter the Last. The Murder of Captain Meredith - The Last Glimpse of Old Sam
Notes for 'The Kangaroo Islanders'
Essay by Rick Hosking 'Beyond the Pale'