show / hide sidebar
The Great North Road: London to York
Media: DATA CD - 1 CD (262 pages)
Author: C. Hooper
Year: (1922) 2010
The Great North Road, London to York was written by Charles G. Harper and published in 1922. This title is an interesting guide to the history and stories of the Great North Road (A1), detailing the various towns and villages en route between London and York.
Well illustrated with line drawings and paintings. Useful for transport, local and social history.
This is a digital version of the original book, now in PDF format this is viewable on any computer using Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Places listed along the road from the London (General Post Office) to the York are:
- Islington (the "Angel"
- Highgate Archway
- East End, Finchley
- Brown's Wells, Finchley Common ("Green Man"
- Greenhill Cross
- Hadley Green
- Ganwick Corner ("Duke of York"
- Potter's Bar
- Little Heath Lane
- Bell Bar ("Swan"
- Lemsford Mills (cross River Lea)
- Digswell Hill (cross River Mimram)
- Woolmer Green
- Biggleswade (cross River Ivel)
- Lower Codicote
- Beeston Cross (cross River Ivel)
- Tempsford (cross River Ouse)
- Eaton Socon
- Cross Hall
- Brampton Hut
- Alconbury Weston
- Alconbury Hill ("Wheatsheaf")
- Sawtry St. Andrews
- Norman's Cross
- Kate's Cabin
- Water Newton
- Stibbington (cross River Nene)
- Stamford Baron (cross River Welland)
- Great Casterton
- Greetham ("New Inn"
- North Witham ("Black Bull")
- Great Ponton
- Spitalgate Hill
- Great Gonerby
- Long Bennington
- Shire Bridge (cross Shire Dyke)
- Balderton (cross River Devon)
- Newark (cross River Trent)
- South Muskham
- North Muskham
- Searthing Moor
- West Markham
- Markham Moor
- Gamston (cross Chesterfield Canal)
- Retford (cross River Idle)
- Barnby Moor
- Rossington Bridge (cross River Torne)
- Doncaster (cross River Don)
- Askerne (cross River Went)
- Whitley (cross Knottingley and Goole Canal)
- Whitley Bridge
- Chapel Haddlesey (cross River Aire)
- Burn (cross Selby Canal)
- Selby (cross River Ouse)
- Gate Fulford
Any computer using Adobe (Acrobat) Reader 4 or later
Adobe Reader 6 or later is recommended for CDs with searchable tex